Customer reviews

Jackdaws
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.74

on 12 June 2014
Ken Follett writes excellent escapist fiction and Jackdaws is no exception. Brave secret agents, in this story predominantly female, undertake a mission in occupied France. It coincides with British D Day plans, so the timeline made it interesting to read this month. The characters are typically gung-ho, from a range of backgrounds, upper class to convicted criminals, thrown together by the vagaries of a wartime mission.

Ken Follett's books create a time and place and draw the reader in to the events. There's the Chateau, which doubles as local Gestapo HQ, the SS General, reporting to Rommel, who despises the Gestapo, the French Resistance Leader and team, a Major leading a female team to destroy a key target and various officials from British and American Government. These characters are a great mix for a fast paced story where a small team works against the clock and every adversity possible to achieve a mission success. I was immersed over a couple of days and it kept my attention from start to finish, so a light but rewarding read.
on 27 June 2017
I really did enjoy this book except that I didn't really feel part of, or picture myself in the places described. I am not sure why this happens but when I read a book I like to feel that I can see the action being described. Towards the end of this tale Follett describes a French village scene at noon, the streets were deserted because the French are at lunch. If you have ever driven through a village or town in France at noon you will know what He means. It was then that I realised it was these little details that left me feeling slightly outside the book instead of fully immersed. Ah well c'est la vie as they say, I will still read it again in a year or two. After all it is, as I said, a gripping story.
on 14 April 2017
Although the story line is very good, some continuity is lost during the telling. The flow between the two main characters could be improved.
on 2 November 2017
Another wonderfully written book from fillet. A tale of heroism, guile, intuition, and cunning. The work of the SOE has been often glamorised, but one cannot take away the sheer bravery of those heroic men and women, who gave the word freedom.
on 27 June 2017
brilliant story, WW2 SOE in occupied France.Gripping harrowing, exciting what a page turner.This is the 1st book I have read of Kens books.I have now got 2 more of his books great writer.
on 16 June 2017
I read this in sboutv3004 thrnnforgot and read it again in 2017 not recalling the story until nearly the end. Ken Follet is good read many times. Genius!!!
on 20 August 2017
Terrific, pacy read. Couldn't put it down. Just discovered Ken Follett and will work my way through.
on 29 August 2017
Typical Ken Follett - suspense maintained right to the end. Good story, well told
on 7 July 2017
Typical Ken Follett - never lets you down.
on 30 August 2017
Yet again Ken Follett holds one fast in and exciting adventure