on 31 May 2014
I really love the Jack Daniels books but beware this book isn't all Jack Daniels. I enjoyed some stories better than others. I am a big fan of the stories with Harry in them and they delighted me no end. I had to stop reading one day as I was laughing so much I thought I would waken my daughter that works nights. I loved the one about Harry and the corpse tears rolled down my face. This book tells stories of different loved characters from the Jack Daniels series such as Herb Harry and a more detailed background on Phineas Trout which was quite an eye opener. I would say go for it if you are hooked on Jack Daniels as I am but may be a little disappointed at the length of some of the stories.
on 27 June 2012
The best collection of short stories I've ever read , this guy is Awsome and soooo funny . My favorite story was the last one , about necrophilia , loved how it was written , loved Harry and it was one of the funniest stories I've read . Konrath is superb , He's fast becoming my favorite author . 5 stars from me <3
on 5 February 2014
I love, love, love this author and the stories are fabulously entertaining. Certainly recommend to those with a great sense of humor.
on 15 March 2011
Konrath delivers 15 short stories in this great collection which showcases a number of protagonists and not just policewoman Jack Daniels as the book title implies.

Because Konrath uses different characters he avoids sameness and predictability. Nearly all are well-written and keep you guessing (the last short story did little for me, but Konrath does warn readers that some may find it offensive). Some of the stories will have you in stitches as Konrath throws in some great lines.

I'm now a convert to the short-story cause - these are a great read over a coffee in a café or when you know your window of time will not be big enough for you to really get stuck into a novel. I also now need to get stuck into some Konrath novels as he has quite impressed me with these short stories.

In short, great stuff and I am very glad I took this leap.
on 19 January 2015
As always, I enjoyed the stories featuring Jack Daniels. The author states that with regard to Harry McGlade, you either love or hate him - I'm in the second category. This character definitely lets the author down; it's as though he has to write some awful stuff to make the good stories seem better.

I don't appreciate a character that has a casual opinion of animal abuse, and is downright stupid a lot of the time. The comments he makes are just that - stupid. I had to stop reading the stories containing this idiotic character. The character of Jack Daniels would most certainly not have anything to do with him, so it's disappointing when she is dragged into his silly stories.
on 26 April 2015
I like the Jack Daniels books, which are a bit way out but tell a good story. These stories are ok but, for me, most have too much gore with not enough story. In a few pages, one story slaughters at leat a dozen people including children.
Title is a bit misleading - Jack makes only a fleeting appearance in many of the stories. Don't like the Phin character, just a coldblooded killer with no redeeming features; just hope the cancer gets him soon. Do like McGlade, and the last story in the book is surreal and great fun. But overall, stay with the books, they are much better.
on 10 June 2015
Konrath is a good writer in the crime genre. I have read so many recent so-called 'crime' novels and stories and have been unable to review them because the writing is not 'crime' writing. I wish those writers would read this writer's books and short stories in order to see how it's done. I thought the stories were very, very good. I reserve 5 stars for 'excellent' and rarely give it. Probably I would give this writer 5 for a novel and will read some of his novels soon.
on 10 August 2013
Not a bad book yet not to be confused with Kerry Wilkinson, it may be that I enjoy a novel above short stories. This is the first
short stories book I have read and somehow I just cannot get into the depth of a short story.
on 19 December 2014
The writing of J,A Konrath is absolutely superb and reading the exploits of Jack Daniels and the characters that inhabit her world I find every bit as intoxicating as drinking the stuff.
on 9 July 2013
Warning: be aware that all but one of these stories (The Necro File) also appear in "65 Proof", a much better bargain at £2.66 for a lot more short stories.