on 27 July 2014
I read the Saga of the Exiles in the late 80s and have re-read 30years later. May's vision of the future - with rho-craft, domestic cold fusion regen-tanks (and no internet nor smartphones!) shows us how technology takes some interesting twists and turns.
And,of course, 'operancy' - that May considered exciting new field of science in the 70's and 80's - came to nought...
DESPITE that, she writes well, with strong character and a healthy pace.
I enjoyed reading her books in my teens and I have enjoyed them in middle age. Please invent Regen Tanks so I can enjoy them again in another 50 years!
on 9 December 2014
Intelligent , riveting......stunning series of books. Can't believe I had never heard of these until a few months ago. Were recommended to me by a friend. I read the first and bought the rest ..... and the next series too. Julian May is an exceptional author. Cannot rate these books highly enough.
on 24 February 2014
Excellent continuation of a superb series. I bought and read the complete series many years ago when I was at school and thought it was time to revisit.
I'm glad I did as I am probably enjoying them more now than when I was younger.
I can highly recommend this series. I would also suggest reading them in the correct order with the Saga of the Exiles first.
on 12 May 2013
My copy of this book bought years ago has been read to pieces and to get it onto my Kindle with all the others in the Saga of the Exiles series is wonderful. My belief is that Intervention should be read before this one so that you get an idea of the background of the characters either here or referred to in the history of the Saga are. This is a bit nit pickly but it is worth it so that the whole series rolls out in all its expansive glory.
on 26 August 2013
really enjoyed all three of the books in this series. A very interesting follow up to the many coloured land and the other three books in that series. safe to say i like pretty much everything hes written so far in fact! If you like fantasy youll like these. entertaining page turners youll find difficult to put down. I recommend them.
on 22 May 2013
I first read this many years ago and liked it. Even better now when revisisted. Good plot devices and story development.
on 3 March 2013
Part 2 of a dense riveting saga being 4 doorstep novels and linked to her other 4 doorstep novels "The Saga of Exiles"

This follows and I think would be difficult to understand without having read "Intervention" first. With that rider however, this is a riveting novel about a family of supremely gifted people, and the crimes that are done to them.

This is science fiction with a flavour that is all of its own. Perhaps the closest link is that "If you like John Wyndham, you'll love these" . This double saga, "Intervention, Jack, Diamond Mask and Magnificat, and the Saga of Exiles, are Julia May's masterpieces." I am really enjoying re-reading this saga 30 years on from when I first met them.
on 29 March 2013
Reading at times like a thriller, at others like a horror story, with the foreknowledge of the end that is obtained from reading the proceeding novels, this book carries the reader deep
into the genesis of Marx's eventual rebellion and his convoluted family relationships.
on 1 April 2014
This is still one of my favourite books of all time. There is a prequel to this book - Intervention - which is big and goes into a lot of back detail of how people got their abilities.
This is the start of the Galactic Milieu series which tells the story of the Metasyphic Rebellion.
This book focuses on Jon Remillard before and after he is born. It shows his development to becoming one of the few human Paramount Grand Masters.
This series was written after Saga of the a Exiles 4 books which is set in the future/past and mentions the events of The Metasyphic Rebellion and the people involved. You can read that series before this but then you would know the outcome of the Rebellion.
Jack the bodiless is the shortest out of 3 but the next 2 books do not disappoint. Some people may find the amount of detail boring but I never ever felt this and I do hate boring details. This is well written and very intelligent - much better than a lot popular fiction.
I am so glad these books have be rereleased as I old battered copies I have read over and over.
I always wished she would continue this story with a new one but don't think she ever will.
on 12 May 2016
Jack and uncle Rogie are such great characters and the smell of Victor and Don leaves a taint in your brain! Fantastic read!