on 26 February 2015
I bought these after borrowing my co-workers JVC HAS500W headphones and loving them. Since you can only get the 500's imported from Japan and I didn't want to wait, I decided to go for these instead figuring they must be just as good.

I would say sound quality these are excellent, I have broken them in and the bass is incredible yet not too overwhelming.

The only criticism I have with them is the comfort which is why I have only given them 4 stars. There are 2 pads on the top to add comfort but for me they didn't really provide any comfort. On the 500's, you have leather memory foam pads which make it so comfortable but on these, the 400's, they are just hard sponge. If you push against the pads, they don't go inward to act as a cushion so it feels like the plastic is just resting on your head.
on 23 May 2016
The sound quality of these little headphones is stunning. The carbon nanotubes are a big improvement in terms of quality and surround. Bass are prominent and High are very well defined without crackling noise. I had numerous headphones but these ones are a real keeper.

These headphones are foldable which makes them pretty useful while travelling, The cord may be a bit shorter tho.

The padding for the head is not so soft, so it may start to be uncomfortable on longer sessions, but the ear paddings are very soft and always stay fresh even in the summer.
on 26 March 2014
a great pair of headphones!

At first I wasn't sure how good the sound quality would be for that price, but when they arrived i was pleasantly surprised! Bass was a priority for me as i listen to a lot of rock and other heavy music, so i wasn't sure that they would live up to my high standards. Despite this they sound great! The bass is really there and doesn't distort at all, as is the high end which is just as good. overall the sound quality is great especially for the price, they are one of the best sounding pairs of headphones I've heard.

The build quality of the headphones is very good. They feel very solid and robust. They have a nice rubber like finish to them which makes them fell really nice. All of the hinges in the folding mechanism are very strong and don't have too much play in them. overall these headphones feel very solid, I wouldn't be too worried about them getting broken if i had them in a bag.

These headphones are very comfortable, especially with the cushioning on the cups. They stretch to fit around your head very well and also adjust in length. I find them very comfortable to wear for long periods of time and sometimes forget that I've put them on.

The folding mechanism is very effective and allows them to fold to suit where you want to store them. Either completely flat (perfect to fit in a laptop bag), or very compact. This makes them perfect for use while traveling as they are very easy to carry around.

The looks of these headphones are great in my opinion, but other people might not think so. They are very plain and smart and don't stand out too much. The cups look great! They feature a shiny black center with a gunmetal chrome surround, the rest of the body is a matte black.

Overall the JVC HA-S400 headphones are great in every way! i would thoroughly recommend them to anyone looking for a good pair of budget headphones.

EXCELLENT HEADPHONES!
2 people found this helpful
on 11 November 2013
Received this item today and I must say I'm very impressed!! I previously had the JVC HA4X and HA5X (the Xtreme Xplosives). The Xplosives have very powerfull bass, BUT a little too much for my liking. In my opinion-after using them- they are over bassed and thus sound quality is HUGELY compromised. And so I set out to find the next pair of headphones and came across these. Trust me, these (HAS400B) are way BETTER than the XX. The bass on these (HAS400B) is fantastic! Deep, dynamic and crystal clear!! Its incredible. And for sure, the sound quality is impressive, with excellent sound isolation. Infact, I got to hear instruments in my songs that I never heard before!! This, is the product for you,and a huge bargain for the price, trust me!!
3 people found this helpful
on 23 October 2014
I'm no audiophile, so I can't get too technical, but to my ears, they sound just fine. The fit is comfortable, although they don't fully enclose your lugs, rather sitting on top. They can fold up for easy storage while traveling, which I've found really handy. My music (mostly jazz and blues) sounds nice and crisp, without the overpowering bass some headsets use to disguise their shortcomings. What effect the carbon nanotubes have on performance I don't know, but they sound better then any other sub-£40 headphones I've tried.
on 10 March 2016
Great pair of headphones, so useful for their compact design and deliver good full sound.
Had them almost a year and loved them but unfortunately they have stopped working. Most likely loose connections in the wire have caused sound loss in the right ear cup but I don't have the tools to fix that so I'm going to have to buy a new pair. Not sure if I'll be rebuying these or another kind but I'm very attached to the folding design.
Ultimately you have to decide if you want to pay £30 for a pair of good headphones that may not last you the year?
on 9 May 2015
Genuinely surprised at the sound quality, rich, warm, not too overbearing in any range.
There is a slight bias toward a bassier tone, which can add warmth where you don't need it but the clear balanced sound staging makes up for that.
For a £20 pair if headphones I can't reccomend these enough.
They are bulky though even when folded so youll need big pockets!
on 28 December 2015
For the price, I have given 5 stars as its loud enough and has enough bass to hear when travelling on the tube. Can do with a little bit more clarity but not complaining as a lot of more expensive headsets do not sound as good as these. Folds up neatly to fit into my bag. Would buy these again and I recommend.
on 5 February 2014
Bought these because they're rated highly on many 'best budget' type lists.

They're comfortable enough, bassy enough for when I want some rock, crisp enough for some Bach and fold up small enough to live in my laptop bag.

The only downside is that they leak a lot of sound, so not really good for the library - but that's to be expected with this type.
One person found this helpful
on 18 August 2014
great well pleased I have had a pair before but my grown up son was so in-pressed he sort of borrowed them but never returned so bought another pair for myself, so comfy sound is clear