on 27 January 2016
JVC do a range of different 'Gumy' headphones now, but this review is specifically for the JVC HA F140PN ones. I've owned a couple of these and thought I’d review them for anyone considering a new pair of reasonably priced headphones anytime soon. Despite their price tag and plastic appearance, they’ve served me well and I’m pleased with them, especially given the Amazon price.

JVC are a popular brand with a wide range of technology products, so they have expertise and experience under their belt. There are lots of headphones on the market so it can be hard to choose what style you want, let alone which brand will give the best results for their price tag. I wanted something portable and lightweight so I opted for in-ear headphones, and I quite like things that are a little quirky, so the bright colours these are offered in caught my eye.

These Gumy classic in-ears come in various colours but the JVC range have also released similar versions of these Gumy headphones, such as Gumy Air. I originally bought classic pink ones, despite hating pink, because I was on away from home and forgot my headphones. Knowing I needed to listen to music to keep me sane, I came across these in pink priced cheaper than other colours in the store I was in. This pair, and my latest violet ones, are vibrant and stand out from the crowd. They certainly make a change to my usual black option of most accessories.

These are wired headphones in an ear-bud style, which fit snug in your ears, and weigh only 5g. This makes them perfect for carrying with you and putting in your bag/pocket when you’re finished. The body is made from soft rubber, and the ear piece has soft plastic, so they’re comfy to wear and easy to maintain the wire when you wear them (ie if you put them under your jumper like I do so you get the earpieces out of the top). The length is suitable for me and the plastic separator gives you enough room to play with and adjust to fit you the way you want.

The sound quality from these, whilst not crystal clear or able to deliver a strong base, are still reasonable from a small pair of in-ears. I actually find these to be more than adequate and not tinny, unlike other similar styles I’ve tried before. They’ve also been, mostly, reliable; I had my first pair for about 8-12 months and they served me well, no faults. They still work now, however I’ve noticed that the ear-bud itself has freed itself from the plastic casing. I can push it back it, but it’s starting to affect their performance. None the less, that didn’t put me off these and I have owned a couple of these (I currently have two purple pairs, one work work and one for home).

To compare them to other headphones, these seem to be a good option in the lower budget range. I've owned Sony in-ears before and wasn't too impressed by them in terms of their fit (they kept falling out), their comfort (they felt a bit hard) or their looks. The Gumy range seems to put together decent technology and appearances, and whilst they may not last forever, they'd still get a far better rating from me than Skull Candy, which seem to fall apart within the month.

Overall, JVC’s Gumy headphones offer a range of funky in-ears at a good price for those who want good sound and portability. Don’t expect to be blown away, but these for me offer a good balance between style, sound and affordability.
on 23 May 2014
Ever since I bought a pair of JVC GUMY headphones in Sounds Direct in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago, I've been trying to think of uses for them. Here are some that I've come up with:

* Tying up a very small and weak burglar
* Giving them to your nephew who owns an Action Man, telling him that he can play at gaucho and these can be the bolas
* Using them to escape from a low place if you happen to have been shrunk to a tiny size
* Cutting the wire off and reserving it for a home electronic project
* Dangling them between your legs and pretending that your testicles have horribly withered

What you should not use them for is trying to listen to an iPod, because they don't work for that. I am clearly not a professional audiophile, or I'd have known better than to buy these in the first place (on the personal recommendation of the guy in Sounds Direct, I might add, who should have known better.) I put up with my iPod's weak-ass earphones for a good three or four years before they died on me, and I bought these as a replacement.

If only! If only I had done the minimum of research first! Like, actually asked someone who knows about these things. These things barely fit in my ears and are uncomfortable when they do (and no, I'm not putting them in the wrong ears.) More importantly, if I walk down a quiet street listening to music on these, I can hear everything else as well - birdsong, traffic 100 metres away, the laughter of children in a playground in the next postal district.

I tried a Haydn symphony and could more or less make out the principal themes; no detail at all, and only the violins if they were playing louder than mezzoforte. I decided that I wasn't being fair, and tried something rougher: Iggy Pop's infamous 1997 remix of the Stooges' Raw Power, one of the loudest albums ever released, a roaring beast of rock fury. It sounded like the Archies. I tried the loudest-mastered album I own, Talking Heads' The Name of This Band is Talking Heads, an album that usually makes me have to turn it down whenever I put it on. I could still hear the sound of my own clothing as I walked.

This is the only piece of technology I've ever owned that makes me angry whenever I use it. Don't get them. Listen to me. I want to help you. This is a waste of your money. Everyone's money. JVC should be ashamed.
on 6 October 2015
Headphones work well and were definitely needed as my previous gumy JVC ones broke and I loved them. I searched through all the pictures to find ones that were exactly the same as my previous ones and I ordered these. The picture doesn't match what turned up but at the end of the day, its a minor difference and the headphones do work but for anyone who is highly fussy this may be worth considering. The delivery was exceptionally fast, with the product turning up 2 days before the first estimated delivery date.
on 6 January 2016
The ones I got were different to the photo. I think a new image is needed to show the newer version of these headphones.
on 9 February 2018
Quite clear sound but you need your volume up to more than double what your player can even get to, to get a decent volume. One of the quietest earphones I have ever used absolutely useless if you do a job where volume is needed like noise exterior. You need a sealed room to get clarity of volume. Disappointed I wont be buying these again. Back to Senheisser
on 1 December 2017
good earphones, buy these all the time as they work well and are cheap. I will say though that the orange colour is more yellow on the wires and paler on the earphone section.
on 13 December 2017
By far better pairs for nearly half the price out there ,bought 2 pairs for kids didnt last long though wires pulled out of ear pieces so look elsewhere
is my advice.
on 3 March 2015
The headphones I received were a bit different to the ones in the picture. I don't know whether this was a mistake or whether they've changed the design but I didn't really think anything of it. The ones I got have a little extra nobbly bit from which the sound comes out. I can hear the sound fine but it does hurt my ears after a while as it digs in a bit. I only have this problem with one ear though so maybe it's just me!
on 16 March 2017
Ordered these earphones to replace a JVC pair that had lasted a very long time but had finally lost one side. The new ones looked very much like these so that led me to order them. Unfortunately they turned out to be so similar to my old ones that these also have very little sound in one of the earpieces -- not a welcome feature. Disappointed and just can't be bothered with the hassle of a return.
on 9 February 2018