Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 May 2010
There are any number of books or articles covering Newcastle in the 60,s but a lot of them fall short as they never seem to match up to my re-collections of the time but this just hits the spot perfectly.
A tremendous book with matching photos that highlight the times, shops, fashion and music in and around 'the toon' and it brought back memories as though it was yesterday that Marcus Price etc was the place to shop and the Go Go was the club to see the likes of Zoot Money, Hendrix, Chris Farlowe and the Stones not to mention an 'attempted' live LP with Garnett Mimms - whatever happened to that?
B & W photos are always perfect at identifying the scenes and atmosphere and they are at their best in this publication - I have no doubt that anything of my ilk will find their kids looking through this to see what we 'got up to' in those days when we were in our teens!
Looking at the ticket stubs I can recall being at some of the gigs and can even recognise a couple of faces from the book.
A real gem worthy of purchase by anyone who knocked around the town in those years and who has seen the town change (not always for the better - it is not just a case of 'living in the past' but more of a remembering the past.
Life did exist before the Academy, the Cluny and Eldon Square - honest!
Just buy it and make sure all the family read it.
on 24 November 2013
I remember my dad telling me about the downbeat club and his time hanging out with the animals, hopefully he'll love this gift as it is packed with memories
on 1 October 2014
So nostalgic it brought back a lot of memories and places I had forgotten about altogether.
on 18 December 2011
I bought this book for my Mum who grew up in the Newcastle area in the 1960s. It is a lot better quality than I had expected and has lots of pages packed with photos and information. I particularly liked the photos of the fashions in Fenwick! I'd recommend this book to anyone who was around at the time and I can't wait to give it to my Mum for Christmas.
on 17 November 2012
This book is full of marvellous reminders of life in The Toon in the 60s. Places I'd forgotten brought back to life in people's reminisences of where we went, what we did, how we enjoyed ourselves and so on. I really recommend it to anyone who lived through that period.
on 16 December 2015
A great success as a present for my father who was grew up in Newcastle and was there at the first play of The Animals' House pf the Rising Sun. It's brought back some great memories of him and helped me to have a really special time with my Dad,.
on 11 December 2014
great present for people who grew up in that era
on 6 January 2013
An excellent look back at newcastle in the 60's, gives you a good feeling if you were around then remebering those great times
on 13 January 2016
A bit more 'music centered' than I hoped! However, great photos of 'The Toon' I remember growing up in!
on 27 October 2015
A great book about life in Newcastle in the 1960s.