Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 11 March 2010
This collection of blogs should be read for what it is - a very personal view of the daily round for a Cambridge professor; she enjoys some days more than others - don't we all? Never got to Cambridge myself, probably on intellectual grounds, but Prof Beard's college (Newnham) would have had other reasons for rejecting me. Still, this makes me think I missed something worth while.

I had just finished Robert Harris's Lustrum when I picked this up, thinking the work of a Classics Professor would be a logical follow-up. It worked well on that level, and the humour was an unexpected bonus.

Highly recommended
on 31 December 2009
This is a series of articles culled from the author's blog, who is a lecturer in Classics at Cambridge.
I mostly enjoyed this read. The blog posts are varied from the use of Latin by David Beckam to of all things book reviews on Amazon. These posts seem to give a peek into the world of a Classics Don and perhaps dispel some myths about the relative ease of academic life. Still a stylistic drawback is the author's occasional harping against the male power & privileges and budget constraints; the reader remains somewhat unsympathetic on reading of her expeditions to Pompeii and the US.
Some negatives are that blog articles do not come across well in a written book format. They are too short to give a more detailed insight into some of authors more interesting topics. As well, the reader lacks the necessary background information to put these in context.
on 14 May 2016
From someone who has suffered from the male domination of universities, much worse here in the Netherlands than in the British/Commonwealth system, I see Mary Beard as an outstanding role model. She is learned, full of humour and unafraid. Long may she continue her good work!
on 21 January 2013
Bought together with Mary Beard's "All in a Don's Day". I found it amusing and interesting, as well as informative. A bit like Mary's TV programmes and appearances on the radio. A good read.
on 19 September 2013
Good mix of topics - good read some informative some entertaining with some strong opinions but clearly stated. I enjoyed the read.
on 17 May 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, written with a lightness of touch,but informing and enlightening at the same time.
Will seek out other Mary Beard books.
on 23 October 2009
I've been following Prof Beard's blog, and the publishers very kindly sent me a review copy - it's brilliant, funny, and a must-have for any fan of the Classics. This will be my stocking filler this year!
on 12 March 2013
Mary Beard is a heroine of mine. I was greatly distressed by the verbal attacks on the social media network, and wanted to learn more about her. This book fulfils that purpose.
on 22 August 2014
I find Mary Beard's writing style rather breathless and irritating, perhaps due to these essays being born as a blog??
on 8 June 2015
Brilliant!
Funny, clever and informative.