Italy - the Unfinished Revolution Paperback – 2 Dec 1996
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
At the very crux of the work is the crucial Italian dilemma of being a "very old culture and a very new country", and of holding the seat of the Catholic Church. Tradition is a vital part of Italian life, and yet Italy has not been a country for very long so the customs vary greatly from region to region and industrial productivity often varies alongside that. Frei presents a country that is fragmented geographically due to its youth as a united entity; and also socially, due to the unwritten, protectionist powers of the family network. He suggests that the family cushions every individual member, which on the one hand strengthens Italian society as a whole, yet which on the other can prove to be the greatest social weakness because, if taken to the extreme, its nature is to exclude; to the extent of becoming a mafia, notably in Sicily, but to a lesser extent all over Italy.
Frei covers the subject of the mafia, the role of the family and political corruption in great detail. It shocked me to discover that one third of all Italian MPs were on trial for corruption in the early 1990's.Read more ›
I found it to be totally absorbing!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Edwardian and Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Europe > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Europe > Italy
- Books > History > Europe > Post-war Period, 1946-Present
- Books > History > North America > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > North America > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > World History > 1901-1913
- Books > History > World History > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Countries & Regions > Europe