on 1 January 2018
This book never caught my interest from the start. However, I continued to read through to the end hoping it would improve. It didn't. This story did not relate at all to the sixties and all the characters merged into one. Each of them contributing little to the storyline. If this represents an accurate report of nurse training in the sixties then I am surprised any of them completed the course. I was pleased to get to the end of this book and consign it to the back of my library.
on 23 October 2012
I must admit being a recently retired nurse I usually love this type of book but this one left me a little disappointed.
At times I found it difficult to follow when the author jumped from one subject to another. Some of the incidents are commonly told in other nursing/medical books e.g. the incident with the false teeth so I took this with a pinch of salt.
I also thought there was too much emphasis placed on what occured outside the hospital particularly the authors sister and the landlady.At one point the book suddenly jumped to her being a 3rd year student nurse and set to take her final exams with not hint as to what happened prior to that.
Lastly I would like to commend the author on her remarkable memory. I trained in 1970's and couldn't recall as many conversations as she did.
Fortunately I purchased this book for my Kindle when it was only 99p as part of the Kindle Daily Deal otherwise I would have been very disappointed
on 8 November 2012
Set in north Scotland, the Author's very personal, and nostalgic story of her Nursing training in Aberdeen in the 1960s. More of a diary of the three years she spent, together with other girls, in the learning process to get her qualifications. Not much of the 'Swinging Sixties' atmosphere inferred in the Publisher's blurb! May well appeal to others who also went through that training at a similar time and can recollect similar incidents. The humour is muted and certainly not a latter-day Richard Gordon (Doctor in the House series).
on 12 December 2014
This description of being a student nurse in the 1960s was nothing like the way I remember it from my own student days in "pre-school" and on the wards. We were much more in awe of anyone of higher rank than ourselves.
One person found this helpful
on 30 December 2012
Jane Yeadon tells her story with a joyful honesty. She reminds the reader that nursing is about people in distress and at the same time describes the silliness and fun she experienced during her training. This book reminded me of Monica Dickens' 'One pair of Feet'. I would like to read another of Jane's books as she takes her nursing career to the next stage.
on 9 November 2012
A reasonably entertaining book, though the writing is a bit clunky and disjointed. Don't be fooled by the strapline - Tales From the Swinging Sixties. Swing it does not, apart from the odd kilt as it is set in the north east of Scotland. Readable but forgettable.
4 people found this helpful
on 8 November 2012
As someone who trained around the same time in a Scottish city,I looked forward to reading this,but it didn`t quite deliver.
I could identify with some of the stories and experiences but found the style of writing,confusing and disjointed at times. Having also been involved in the "Typhoid crisis" I found that part true and funny but many of the other tales seemed very superficial and didn`t quite hit the mark. I am sure it was difficult to fit all the experiences into a short book and look forward to reading the follow up book by the same author about her midwifery experiences.
on 8 November 2012
This book starts off well, with history of how she got into nursing after failing a school career, but by the end, had become a bit of an effort to complete. Very repetitive, poorly edited with lots of grammatical and spelling errors, and frankly, quite boring. Not a patch on other autobiographical nursing and midwifery books Ive read.
One person found this helpful
on 17 July 2013
This book had the potential to be a really good read. However, the further into the book I got there was just too much dialogue. I enjoyed the book at first and was even considering downloading another book by this author but I have decided against that now. Such a shame as it really could have been a good read.
on 8 November 2012
Struggled through this book. Found the story confusing at times and the characters weren't really rounded out enough to care about them. Only kept going because I hate to start a book and not finish it.
4 people found this helpful