Customer reviews

on 4 June 2008
This book is great fun and also gives a fascinating insight into how medieval designers worked. The reader is shown a series of complex geometrical designs taken from historical monuments across the Middle East, then shown how these patterns are made - and how to make them! All you need is a compass and a ruler, so I should warn that it's dangerously addictive. Star polygons will never seem the same again...
on 2 May 2010
I bought this book to learn how to create the intricate patterns that have mesmerised me since I was a kid.

The book serves as an excellent reference point and tutorial with very precise steps on achieving the designs he shows. He has used real world examples from his travels so that adds a bit more adventure to the whole art history aspect.

What really helps is the accompanying CD that he provides. The CD is full of useful templates and photos for you to use and if you use illustrator or Corel Draw to do most of your work it is a true god send.

This book is more of an intro for someone who wants to learn and do the Islamic Patterns rather than a history book around the meaning and reason for the extensive use of geometric patterns.

Definitely worth the money I paid for it!
on 24 August 2017
Clear diagrams and procedures in book, hoping CD is useful
on 22 June 2017
A very informative book on the construction of Islamic geometric designs. A detailed easy to follow step by step guide to creating basic shapes and more complex designs. An excellent book for starting out in creating geometric patterns without the aid of a computer.
on 3 October 2017
Loved the book.
VINE VOICEon 9 March 2010
Eric Broug has produced an outstanding book. It combines art, art history, geometry and mathematics. I was primarily interested in this book purely because of the patterns and how I might use them for my own interests - it was mainly for the CD (which itself is a great asset - works on my Mac fine).

It's a very interesting read and the real patterns & photos from real buildings makes the book much more enjoyable.

I remember as a boy the pleasure derived in constructing shapes and patterns - this brought it all back and then some.

The overall style of the book is very clear and concise, like the patterns themselves.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 August 2015
A few years ago, I did some research into Islamic geometric designs for an art project, and I bought a few books on the subject for inspiration as well as for instruction of how to construct these fascinating patterns. This is one of the ones I bought.

In terms of clearly showing how you construct the geometric patterns, this is one of the very best books I have read. It starts you off with the very basic ways of using the compass to make the building blocks of the patterns, and moves gradually onto more and more complex ones taken from well-known mosques, illuminated Korans and palaces. For each pattern, all you need to construct it with a ruler and a compass is clearly explained.

As an exercise to myself, I have done a few of the designs in Adobe Illustrator. It is great fun, and when it's finished, they make lovely patterns that can be used for many decorative or artistic purposes.

If you are starting out trying to understand how these intricate and fascinating designs are created, this book is one of the best places to begin, and I can highly recommend it.
on 6 September 2011
I wanted to start this summer my education in Islamic Art. As an engineer, I am fascinated by the beauty that can be created from mathematics. In my opinion, Islamic art is unique in its combination of strong science, art and spirituality, to lead one to an ethereal realm of the unknown. Often just staring at the repeating patterns leads me into a hypnotic trance. It is quite an extraordinary art form, one that uses your sense of sight to awaken other senses deep within you. It is truly art for the soul.

The book itself has a short introduction and then dives straight into the nitty gritty of creating these patterns with just a compass, pencil and ruler, as they would have done over a thousand years ago. It is a tricky art and requires precision. So I would recommend anyone wishing to embark on this to invest in a good quality compass with can be fixed at certain radii and a sturdy metal ruler. There are many many designs in this book to get stuck in to and it lays the foundations for you to get creative with your own ideas. The CD I haven't really used although it does have handy templates for those not wishing to make their own templates.

I would have liked it to have more writing with maybe more historical content in it and possibly colour pictures. But for what it is, it is a fantastic book. Great to start your hobby in drawing Islamic geometric patterns.
on 1 April 2017
It was a gift so i have not seen it but it arrivev in good time and the recipient was very pleased with it
on 18 October 2017
Great book with beautiful examples and easy to follow through some complex constructions.