Isaiah in the New Testament: The New Testament and the Scriptures of Israel Paperback – 22 Oct 2005
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'This fine collection of essays on the use of Isaiah in early Judaism, Q, and relevant New Testament writings is clear, well balanced, and well informed. Each contributor not only provides an overview of the role of Isaiah in its new context, but examines how individual quotations and / or allusions contribute to the broader theological themes in early Jewish and Christian tradition....an excellent way into the study of early Jewish and Christian hermeneutics for university and seminary students. Clergy and educated lay persons...will also enrich their understanding of the New Testament and its portrayals of Jesus.' Thomas R. Hatina, Theology, 01/11/2006
Mention Old Testament Abstracts, vol 29, 2006
"this collection is important for elucidating important concepts in NT theology."
Fred W. Burnett, Anderson University, Religious Studies Review
'This volume illustrates both the promise and the challenges of the critical approach in question....these studies provide a comprehensive introduction to the Rezeptionsgeschichte of the book of Isaiah in early Christian texts. The footnotes offer a wealth of references to further secondary literature....it is immensely helpful to have such a focused compendium delineating the influence of a particular biblical text on the thinking of the early church.' RBL, Michael P. Knowles, 09/2006--Sanford Lakoff "Rbl "
About the Author
Steve Moyise is Professor of New Testament at the University of Chichester and author of "The Old Testament in the Book of Revelation" (Sheffield, 1995) and "The Old" "Testament in the New "(Continuum, 2001). He is the series editor of The T&T Clark Approaches to Biblical Studies. Maarten J. J. Menken is Professor of New Testament Exegesis at the Faculty of Catholic Theology, University of Tilburg, The Netherlands
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography
- Books > History > Religious History > Christianity
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Bible > Bible Studies > New Testament > Commentaries
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Bible > Bible Studies > Old Testament > Criticism & Interpretation
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Theology > Bible
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Judaism > Sacred Writings > Hebrew Bible (Old Testament)
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Other Religions > Sikhism