- Paperback: 160 pages
- Publisher: Short Books Ltd (1 April 2004)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1904095747
- ISBN-13: 978-1904095743
- Product Dimensions: 12.7 x 1.3 x 19.3 cm
- Average Customer Review: 3.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews (4 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 755,433 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Irresistible Con: The Bizarre Life of a Fraudulent Genius Paperback – 1 Apr 2004
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
After this intriguing first chapter, Wheen starts with Bach's childhood as a boy in Hungary. From there we follow Karoly Hajdu (as he was then) through several changes of name, profession, and identity. To say more would spoil the many revelations dotted throughout the book but Wheen paints a colourful picture of what sounds like a rather unpleasant person. The reader is also sent back in time to post-war England, the Rachmanism of fifties London, and the intellectual milieu of seventies Hampstead. An added highlight is the glorious full-page colour photos of Hajdu experimenting with various female identities against the backdrop of a typical sixties flat.
NB: this book was first published in hardback with the title Who Was Dr. Charlotte Bach?