Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 November 2013
Absolutely brilliant. I loved this one and think it has moved up to being my favourite of TenNapel's books, and I've read a good many of them now. This one is perfectly suitable as a YA-Adult read. I may be partial to this because I am a sucker for both Westerns and Steampunk and Doug has put these two together brilliantly. Only Doug TenNapel could put together the motley crew of cowboys, robots, Sasquatch, the Loch Ness Monster, a train Transformer-type dude, and a lovely lady of the evening in distress AND make it work beautifully without a hitch. Seamlessly we get a wonderful story of courage, stepping up to the plate, the need for community to rally together and the pitfalls of technology. All this with a surprise twist ending gives a rollicking great story. The art? What can I say but it's Mr. TenNapel at some of his finest! Can you tell I really loved this book?!
on 23 July 2006
Doug TenNapel is an amazing storyteller. His books have an amazingly vibrant cinematic feel to them and his artwork is stunning. Iron West is no exception.

This book has everything: robots, sasquatch, cowboys...and above all, wonderful comic timing. The story does feel rushed in places, and the book is a very quick read, but is worth repeated readings.

Personally, I would have preferred this story to be a bit longer, but I think it was still one of the most enjoyable books I've read in a long time.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 September 2007
I'd never heard of Tennapel, and at first glance, this graphic novel looked a little too cartoony and goofy for my sensibilities. But it had cowboys and robots, so I was willing to give it some leeway. And while it is pretty slapstick and silly, I did end up having a fun time with the quickly paced genre blending story. Yeah, the humor's kind of broad, and the pacing is sometimes too rushed and hectic, but it's hard to go wrong when you combine a card-cheating reluctant hero in old California with elements like evil cowboy robots, a hooker with a heart of gold, an Miwok shaman, Sasquatch, an evil Transformer-like train robot, and the Loch Ness Monster. Somehow, these disparate elements work well together in Tennapel's able hands and fluid artwork. Good (mostly clean) fun.
on 27 February 2010
A fun story with really good black and white artwork. Some nice ideas but not a lot of depth to the story. I'd recommend 'Creature Tech' which is much better.
on 8 March 2008
I was laughing the whole way through. At no point is this storyline predictable, the puns are a little cheesy but go well with the art work and complete randomness. This story involves, cowboys, robo cowboys, sasquatch and the loch ness monster...Yet puts it all together in an unforced whimsical way. I've previously read GEAR and Creature Tech by Doug Tennapel and their well worth the read, even if it's just for his amazing art.