Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop Women's Shop Men's

Ipod Touch Warranty and other questions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Feb 2010, 10:09:29 GMT
F. Rivers says:
Like many, I have been trying to made a decision between the Ipod Touch 16GB and the Iphone and taking into account the cost and reviews, I am being swayed more to the Ipod Touch 16GB. However, I still have a couple of questions (and I apologise if these have already been covered):

1. Warranty - The whole water damage issue worries me a little, although I don't intentionally plan on getting it wet!! If I purchase a unit through Amazon/Argos/Curry's etc, will the unit be covered by them for the first 12 months for them to replace or would they/I automatically have to send it back to Apple?

2. Battery Life/Battery Charging - depending on its usage, the battery life does not appear to be brilliant. This may be a really stupid question but how is the unit charged? Is it like a mobile phone that you plug in and charge or do you need a special docking station?

3. Would a shop bought unit come with the latest software applications or would that have to be purchased separately?

Posted on 23 Feb 2010, 16:33:03 GMT
I bought my twin grandsons Ipod touchs' for Xmas, 3rd gen., one updated his and lost his jail break which was on them when purchsed, he cannot get it back any ideas please. fortunately he stopped his brother from doing the same just in time. Brian H.

Posted on 27 Feb 2010, 21:03:32 GMT
M. Davies says:
Hi F Rivers

I have not even got an iPTouch YET [ hope to rectify that very very soon ] but I have been doing some research and I will try to answer some of your questions. First of all, it is the iPhone that can be obtained with a 16Gb capacity. The iTouch, is either 8Gb; 32Gb; or 64Gb - 3rd Generation. Maybe the 2nd Generation did have 16Gb but the latest version does not.
I have had exactly the same concerns in connectiion with the Warranty. M & S said that they refer customers with problems to a Help Line Number who will take details and try to help. If they cannot verbally assist, then you take the unit back into the store and they will send it away - I think - but the bottom line is, if there is a genuine fault, then M & S will refund or replace. Of course, I have read unfavourable reviews where units have been sent back to Apple and the outcome has not been favourable because of what you mentioned, possible water damage. I actually phoned another excellent retailer today, John Lewis and they said if a fault develops within the first 28 days, take it back to them but afterwards the warranty is with Apple and it has to be sent back to them. I do know Amazon have an excellent Customer Service reputation but I am not aware of what would happen if a fault developed after purchasing from them. I think the best option if you purchase from the High Street is to ask for a copy of their Warranty Terms and Conditions, they should be able to print a copy off.
As for the charging issue, I do know that you can obtain a mains charger, from Apple and other sources in order to charge the iTouch. I think it comes with a USB cable so that you can also charge via the CPU of your desktop computer [ that is if you have one] . I did read somewhere that it is not a good idea to charge from the USB socket in a laptop computer. However, lots of people do buy a docking station so that they can listen to the tracks on the iTouch via this and normally, the unit charges whilst these are playing.
In respect of your last question, I did read a complaint that Apple do charge for software updates - I think £5.99 was mentioned - a pretty miserable situation from Apple. I do not know if the unit is sold with the latest version though.
If I have given any erroneous information, apologies in advance - only trying to help.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2010, 21:14:04 GMT
J. Matthews says:
iPod's do NOT come jailbroken from Apple. Jail-breaking is the term used for loading unnofficial software onto the iPod in order to access things that Apple cannot, such as applications that may come from non-Apple or disreputable sources. Apple recently took measures to attempt to make jail-breaking illegal. If your grandson's had the jail-break when they bought the iPod, it was mostly second-hand or had been modified by a third-party vendor, and did not come directly from Apple. In the terms of service that you agree to when setting up the ipod, one clause reads

"(e)You will not, through use of the Apple Software, services or otherwise, create any Application or other program that would disable, hack or otherwise interfere with the Security Solution, or any security, digital signing, digital rights management, verification or authentication mechanisms implemented in or by the iPhone operating system software, iPod touch operating system software, this Apple Software, any services or other Apple software or technology, or enable others to do so."

If your grand-son jail-broke his iPod, or it was jailbroken, that was software designed to "disable, hack or interfere" and so he broke the tems of the lisence agreement. The update will disable the jailbreak.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2010, 22:10:01 GMT
Hi,

This may seem a strange thing to say but speak to your Bank. I bank with NatWest and have their Private Banking Service. This has loads of perks including gadget cover. This means if my Ipod gets lost or damaged they will replace it. See what your Bank can offer, a;though you normally have to pay a fee for these accounts.

Posted on 18 Oct 2010, 20:24:49 BST
bob bryson says:
i simply WOULD NOT buy from APPLE. My Ipod touch has a small mark on the base. because of this Apple has refused me a replacement now the ipod has failed. So an internal fault is blamed on an external dint. I have heard of other similar problems e.g. unit failed but no replacement as screen has a scratch on it. Apple warranty is not worth the paper it is written on!!New Apple iPod touch 8GB (4th Generation)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  21 Feb 2010
Latest post:  18 Oct 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers