Customer reviews

on 3 January 2014
To both Vaughan Hepner and all of his readers

I love this series. I love the characters and I am deeply engrossed in their development throughout the series. This Invasion New York episode is the best of the lot (as long as you have read Alaska,California and Colorado. Vaughan, Please continue to write this series. Don't give up and do anything new.....I won't be happy until the Russian States have engaged with India and the New Gernmany Alliance to invade China.....With the British breaking away brokering a peace deal between China, the USA to rescue a totally subjugated Asia.....Plot twist....plot twist.....Only you can write it Vaughan.

So love this series......... Where are the Africans & Indians by the way? PLEASE KEEP WRITING!
on 28 March 2014
I really like the alt-history/future genre, but unfortunately many of them are just too unbelievable/naff. This is not the case with the Invasion series, I want more.
on 21 December 2013
It is the sign of a great book series when each new episode is better than the last and for me "Invasion: New York" is the best yet. Whether Mr Heppner can keep it up, well I guess we will just have to wait and see. In this book the Chinese take a back seat following the events of the previous book and now, the Germans or rather the German Dominion (GD) take centre stage. Once again the action is relentless and things are looking grim for the Yanks. This time though the Americans are facing an enemy who is superior not in numbers of men and materiel but in terms of quality, primarily via advanced technology. I personally felt the main characters had more depth but that may of course be simply due to the fact that we are several books into the series now. In terms of negatives, I personally found the idea of the British being part of the GD unrealistic given our stance in two world wars and long standing "special relationship" with our trans-Atlantic cousins but then again, as a Brit, I am of course biased in that regard. In the same vein, the sub plot featuring a Brit character seemed a tad pointless, led nowhere and detracted from the main story line. Mr Heppner - please ensure us Brits are portrayed in a more realistic light in future e.g where plucky Brit characters aren't in league with the Hun and where we come to the rescue of the Americans as we have done many times previously:-) Also, where are the Russians in all this? I may have missed it but I don't think they get so much as a mention. I agree with the other reviewer that you have to suspend disbelief but you usually do with this type of storyline. These points aside I thought this was a rollicking good read and am looking forward to the next one!
on 28 October 2013
Having read this and the previous books in this series, I obviously have found them a worthwhile read. The writer tells a yarn well, we are brought into the characters world and interested in their fate.
This all requires a big suspension of belief on our part though--there are many very large improbabilities in this scenario.
The biggest one is the decline in American military might over 30 years, and the rise in Chinese (and to a lesser extent German) capabilities. Its just not feasible over such a short timescale. Even now, Chinese military spending is estimated to be no more than one sixth of the US military budget, and they have a lot of catching up to do. European spending is a lot further behind, and the South Americans arent at the races at all. I suspect the author was motivated by the need to keep the US forces equipment sounding familiar.
The other huge improbability is the metamorphosis of the European Union into a new German Reich. This could happen, but not in this timespan, and the sight of brits merrily seving away attacking Canada under the German leadership is just too improbable for words.
Top marks for the writing and characterisation, and I for one will suspend disbelief and read it to the end of the series.
on 11 February 2014
The world versus the US. Highly unlikely. Pure fantasy and disappointing scenario. UK joins Germany against the special relationship and fighting Canada. No no no. Then the Chinese gets shafted by the Germans! Alternative history maybe but way off line - the yanks are too smart ice age or no ice age. Wasted money on the books. Sorry but too many extreme concepts. I was bored by book 2. Verbiage of the military men was out of Billy Bunter - "gosh look at all those tanks" or words to that effect....weak! He'll they were dying in droves and not a swear word to be heard. Nah not for me.
on 3 February 2014
Started the first in this series and couldn't stop until I had read them all. The author is an excellent story teller in an inventive world of technological marvel. Waiting anxiously for the next installment.
on 30 September 2014
A reasonable yarn, but lacks coherence in the plot and, like all his books, could really do with a good editor to iron out all the grammar, syntax, continuity and spelling errors.
on 8 March 2014
just waiting for the grossly outnumbered United States to somehow win..... its obvious that they will in the end....just how is the question - an enjoyable read nevertheless....
on 4 November 2013
Rather rushed but another great read in the series. A long wait for it to be released but worth waiting for. Roll on the next instalment and the final battle for the USA
on 2 November 2013
With the fourth in his invasion series Heppner has succeeded yet again in providing a great captivating read. The whole series is excellent I would highly recommend it.