- Save 10% on Books for Schools offered by Amazon.co.uk when you purchase 10 or more of the same book. Here's how (terms and conditions apply) Enter code SCHOOLS2016 at checkout. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
An Introduction to Geographical Information Systems Paperback – 23 Jun 2011
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
The fourth edition of this highly regarded and successful text continues to provide a clear and accessible introduction to the world of GIS for students and professionals. Focusing on the practical applications of GIS, this book features a wealth of multi-disciplinary case studies and examples of GIS in practice, demonstrating how it is used worldwide and within a variety of different industries.
The new edition has been substantially revised and updated to include coverage of the latest advances in GIS technology and applications (particularly web based and mobile applications) and to provide pointers to recent research and publications.
- A striking full-colour design enriches the photographs, maps, diagrams, and screenshots to provide a highly visual illustration of GIS output and applications.
- A selection of international case studies written by specialists and practitioners provides a detailed picture of how GIS is used across a variety of different disciplines and industries.
- Practice boxes demonstrate how GIS tools and techniques are applied in the real world across a range of sectors including business, environmental management, tourism and planning.
- Theory boxes provide consolidation of important issues and concepts.
- Reflection boxes, included at the end of each main section, enable you to check your progress and further explore the key issues.
- A range of useful revision material at the end of each chapter includes questions, text and web-based activities and a guide to further reading.
- A dedicated website includes:
--Activities and revision questions for self-study or discussion
--Multiple choice questions to test understanding
--Web links for further investigation
--Datasets offering practice opportunities
An Introduction to Geographical Information Systems is suitable for students of Geographical Information studies at all levels, from undergraduate to professionals retraining in GIS.
About the authors
Ian Heywood is a freelance consultant and Director of the Ideas Academy Ltd. Previously he was Director of Director of Growing Business and Skills for Scottish Enterprise Grampian, and has also been Director of Open and Distance Learning for Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, and a Senior Lecturer in GIS at Manchester Metropolitan University.
Sarah Cornelius is a Lecturer in the School of Education at the University of Aberdeen, specializing in adult and online learning. She was previously an Associate Lecturer for the Open University and taught GIS at Manchester Metropolitan University and the Free University of Amsterdam.
Steve Carver is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Geography at the University of Leeds where he is Director of Taught Postgraduate Programmes including Leeds successful MSc in GIS. Steve is also Director of the Wildland Research Institute. He has 25 years experience with GIS application, development and training.
Additional student support at www.pearsoned.co.uk/heywood.
About the Author
Ian Heywood, previously Director of Director of Growing Business and Skills for Scottish Enterprise Grampian, Director of Open and Distance Learning for RobertGordonUniversity, Aberdeen, and a Senior Lecturer in GIS at ManchesterMetropolitanUniversity, is now a freelance consultant and Director of the Ideas Academy Ltd.
Sarah Cornelius is a Lecturer in the School of Education at the University of Aberdeen, specializing in adult and online learning. She was previously an Associate Lecturer for the Open University and has taught GIS at Manchester Metropolitan University and the Free University of Amsterdam.
Steve Carver is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Geography at the University of Leeds. He is Director of the MA in GIS and MSc in GIS.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
In short - a superb, well written entry level text.
The book is perfect also for self-taught GIS users, that after using GIS for a while need to strenghten their theory background and order the lessons learnt through practice.
Good graphs and tables, straight and clear organization of arguments and examples, useful questions and reflection inputs at the end of each chapter, good suggestions and web links for further study.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great value for this book. It arrived super quick, really well packaged and all as expected.Published 13 months ago by Chris H
A fun lens to play around with. It can take great quality pics with you get your settings right on the camera.Published on 28 Nov. 2013 by jim tierney
I used this book as an environmental science degree student and found it helpful as a reference text for my studies.Published on 24 Aug. 2013 by claire152
As a first year geography student we were told to buy this as a 'core reading', after no previous experience of using GIS it was expected by many on my course that it would tell us... Read morePublished on 13 Aug. 2013 by Amazon Customer
....but only if you're a complete nerd! Its got everything and more that you could ever want to know. Read morePublished on 19 July 2013 by Clive 'Badger' Budden
A good insight for those who want to get acquainted with the geographical information sciences.
A very lucid and clear introduction into GIS.
bought this as one of my second year modules is GIS, and at first glance this book is precise, accurate and easy to understand so would recomend to all!Published on 21 Mar. 2013 by rainester
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > Lesson planning > Teaching of Specific Subjects
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Education > Kids
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Education > Teaching Aids
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Education Studies
- Books > Travel & Holiday