Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 4 June 2003
This book is an absolute must for Vincenzi fans. The 3rd and final installment in the Lytton story, following on from No Angel and Something Dangerous. If you have read these two, I hardly think you would need prompting to read Into Temptation. I think it is actually the best of the three, you really care about the characters and the twists in the story make it really unputdownable. I only discovered Penny Vincenzi last year and have now read all of her books so will be quite bereft until the next! Get writing Penny!
on 19 September 2006
The final book in the Spoils of Time trilogy is good, wrapping up loose ends and introducing some new characters, including the complicated, greedy Charlie Patterson and the highly annoying Keir Brown. In my opinion though, there is too much of the Barty/Charlie storyline and not enough concentration on the London Lyttons; which is fair enough I suppose as Ms Vincenzi obviously wants to focus on the next generation. But the whole Charlie story is long-winded, with an unecessarily complicated background, and there are also some other annoying aspects; including Kit's childish attitude to Celia's marriage and Adele's frankly tiresome continuing depression over the events in Book 2. One other (final) thing that slightly annoyed me was the heavy hinting that went on; a lot of her books are like this and it always works very well; however it would have been interesting to know, for example, whether Celia and Sebastian were continuing their affair in this book, and when exactly they stopped.

However, these characters--even the annoying ones--are still compelling, and since we've been with them since the beginning it is still interesting finding out what happens.

The best bit of the book is the discovery of Celia's personal diaries, kept since the early 1900s and full of intruiging nuggets of information. Unfortunately, little of the diary entries are revealed and those that are are quite cryptic (one particularly interesting refernce to a highly personal, intimate entrance that mortified Giles comes to mind).

The ending is left open too, which is actually a good idea and works well. I did enjoy the book and of course, if you've read the other two (which are excellent) you'll read this anyway.
on 3 June 2003
I thought it couldn't get any better! I've been hooked on this trilogy since being given 'No Angel', and it gets better with every book! Penny Vincenzi has that rare gift of writing a book so good you don't want to stop reading it - it was very difficult to put it down. The story was brilliant, with unexpected twists and one of the first books that has ever made me laugh out loud and actually burst into tears! If you've never read these, don't be put off by the thickness of the books as I initially was - it really is worth it! It's just a shame that there won't be any more in this series. Guess I'll have to try the others by her, and hope they're half as good!
on 12 August 2003
Another wonderful, compelling book from Penny Vincenzi. All her characters feel like real people and the things that happen to them makes a great story. I would have given this book 10 stars if possible. I have loved all three books in this trilogy. If I had to choose then Number 2 was my favourite. Penny Vincenzi is one of the best authors of this type of novel if not the best.
on 16 August 2014
The final instalment of the fantastic family saga of the Lytton family and their publishing house of the same name beginning with No Angel and then Something Dangerous. I read all three novels back to back, some 2141 pages over a period of a couple of weeks, so caught up in the story was I.

It was fabulous to follow the family from the outset with matriarchs Lady Celia and Oliver Lytton, their children then grandchildren on this epic tale through many trying and difficult times beginning in the early 1900 and taking us through two world wars, the Great Depression and many other world changing events there-after.

I just loved the style of those early days when you dressed for dinner, always looked your best, never letting the side down and always keeping up the standards no matter what the situation....you just got on with it! These men and women no matter what their social standing was, were very brave to uphold all that was dear to them in a very changing world, they certainly were the true matriarchs of their time.

Heavens knows how Ms Vincenzi put all this together with each and every one in the family having their own tale to tell and the sad loss of Barty, who to my mind was the most courageous of them all and then the passing of Celia who had more than a few secrets of her own which are all tied up in several diaries. But I was most gratified with the ending which could not have been better. Everyone, no matter who, got what they deserved, one way or another leaving you with a sense that justice had been done no matter what the circumstances.

And I so love the covers of Ms Vincenzi's books, the are always so colourful, sleek and stylish, making you want to pick them up and read them.

Wonderfully written, fabulously executed, sad, uplifting, passionate and anything else in-between...thank you Penny for sharing this phenomenal saga with us all. Highly recommended
on 18 May 2003
The Spoils of Time are a great set of books, from the first one to the last one they capture your imagination. I found that this book round off everything nicely, their is a mixture of old characters and new ones, which is done really well. I love all Penny Vincenzi's books are would recommended them to everyone. Enjoy!
on 12 June 2014
I am grieving now I have finished this brilliant saga for the family I have finished reading about as well as the dearly departed characters I didn't want to lose. This is such a mammoth series of novels, I can't recommend it enough. Penny Vincenzi weaves such a complex, fascinating sequence of events with characters so real I could practically feel them in the room. My only criticism is that each novel ends slightly earlier than I was ready for. I read this the first time in my twenties, now again in my thirties and no doubt will enjoy it again in another 10 or 20 years. If you don't love this there's something wrong with you!
on 4 March 2007
I have to say I have loved this trilogy and I think that Into Temptation lives up to the other two books in the trilogy. I am really sad to be leaving the Lytton, Miller and Brooks families and hope that I will soon be able to find another set of books that will engross and entertain me as much as this wonderful trilogy has.
on 20 April 2014
I've just downloaded all three books onto my Kindle and am nearing the end of the final one, reminded strongly of how much I loved them the first time I read them when they first came out.
I know it's a trilogy but have found myself wondering why PV hasn't written a sequel. The quality of her novels has fallen over the last two or three and she could definitely redeem herself by bringing the Lytton saga up to date. For me these three books are outstanding and I'd love to know what happens to the generation born, like me, in the 1950s.
on 21 July 2014
Wow . . . . a great second part of the Lytton trilogy focusing on Celia and Oliver's children as they grow up and start to lead their own lives. WWII breaks out during this book and we are reminded of the horrors of war all over again as witnessed in book 1. The characters are wonderfully described again and well thought out. You are swept up in to their lives and I can't wait to read part 3 to see what happens next. I don't want to give anything away but you do need to have read part 1 to understand some of the issues facing the characters especially Barty and Kit.

Lock yourself away in a quiet room and be transported to the Lytton family and all their dramas - you won't be disappointed!