on 14 February 2007
Having read a fair amount of advice on medical school interviews, this book really stands out as first rate. It contains extremely helpful information on what questions to expect, ranging from your motivation for and knowledge of a medical career, your personal experiences and transferable skills, to questions about the NHS and ethical dilemmas. The advice on the latter is very well informed and will save you countless hours trying to find the information yourself.

The scope of the book is very broad, suggesting answers to 151 questions, which of course is too much to retain in the memory. My advice is to concentrate on a core of about 20-30 questions, the perennial favourites that tend to feature in most interviews, so that you can answer them easily; but also make sure you have a reasonable background knowledge of the other questions, so that you're not caught out with nothing to say should they come up.

It should be stressed that this book is a guide, not a blueprint that you should regurgitate parrot-fashion. You'll need to read about medical stories in the news to stay up-to-date. You'll also need to work out your own answers to questions about your personal motivation and experiences. However, this book will provide you with excellent tips on how to structure your answers on these topics.

ISC Medical, the publishers of the book, also offer interview preparation courses for medical school applicants. I attended a one-on-one coaching session, which I found very useful. It was beneficial to have a mock interview with someone who wasn't a friend or family member, because it made the situation feel more formal, and therefore more like a proper interview. The person interviewing me also offered excellent feedback on my answers, which really helped to steer me in the right direction, and enabled me to put the finishing touches to the significant amount of preparation that I had done by this point.

I attended interviews at two medical school interviews and received offers from both. Neither this book or the interview skills sessions will guarantee you a place at medical school, but from my experience, they will guarantee you an improved performance.
on 2 August 2007
The book takes you through the various types of questions that you can be asked at med school interviews in detail. There is an excellent section on techniques at the start followed by a detailled analysis of 150+ questions. I found it very useful to learn how to present myself, to talk about my communication, team playing, leadership and other skills, and to present the best examples in a meaningful way. The section on ethical issues is absolutely brilliant, as the section on NHS issues. This book is a must-have for all med school applicants. It certainly helped me get four offers this year! I am off to UCL.
on 27 March 2007
I bought this book and it was a valuable aid in helping me get into medical school. The book doesnt try to spoonfeed u answers.. its more along the lines of giving you the information & guidelines needed to make your own answers and whilst there are examples of effective answers.. they are for the most part v cliched and too long.

The book teaches frameworks with which to construct your answers with, and these frameworks give u a good starting point from which to think of answers as well as providing a solid logical structure to present your answer in, this part of the book is really useful.

The rest of the book then analyses about 150 different questions ranging from the basics to nhs issues & ethics. The NHS section is very informative and provides a lot of information with which to think about, the ethics section also provides a lot of material on a wide range of ethical issues and really makes you start thinking about the technique needed to answer ethical questions. The basic questions that are analysed also help and provide you with ways/advice/tips on how to really make your answers stand out and improve them a great deal.

I had two interviews for entry into medschool this year and have got in to both unis, this book definitely helped me to acheive that and is a v worthwhile investment if you are trying to get into medschool.
on 6 February 2008
I bought this book in the hope to get better not just interview skills but also better for any medicine interviews I may get. I know that someone mentioned that this book is better suited for a medical graduate applying for a residency post- but I do not think that it should be thought of as a disadvantage. The interviewer are going to be looking for students that they feel would graduate and get an internship- therefore they would use a lot of the questions in the book- depending on how hard they will be on you. Another thing that I really liked about this book is that it teaches you how to answer the questions,rather than just giving you a cliched example for you to learn off by heart. These are my reasons for giving it 5*s
on 21 May 2016
Highly useful book for those who know how to make full use of it.

It gives a good introduction into the healthcare setting, and provides background on the NHS. It is a useful guide with lots of professional advice.My sister practised the questions in this book thoroughly, and soared through all four of her interviews - now a second year medical student!

I would recommend this.
on 19 November 2006
There are many common/"eternal" questions that are repeatedly asked in medical school interviews (in fact, in many other interviews of similar nature). The problem is that there is no single best answer to all these questions, just like most things in medicine (or life). This book serves to guide you to shine in these "difficult" questions in the interview. Happy reading and good luck!
on 3 April 2016
It's a well written book and definitely reduced my anxiety going into the interviews this year, but I'm slightly doubtful as to its actual use.
The book spends LOTS of time telling you how to bring all the questions round to your achievements and personal qualities so you can talk about yourself, but when I arrived for interview this just seemed really unnatural and I didn't even do that.
In general, I received questions that were much more aimed at the role of doctors, how they're perceived and some thinking and explaining tasks. They didn't seem particularly interesting in my 50m swimming badge etc.
But seriously, I've got 2 out of 3 offers back for medicine (haven't heard from the last one yet) and I would say this book would be very useful to you if you were asked questions about you or your personal qualities and achievements, but I just ... wasn't.
Answer the questions they ask you!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2008
Very informative and up to date book which doesn't give the answers straight away, but implores you to think of them yourself, and then helps with the finer points and structure of your answer. With two offers under my belt now, I am very grateful for this book which really improved my confidence when I walked into the interview room-And I firmly believe that it was the 'clincher' for me this year. I would definately reccomend this book!
Thankyou so much!
on 2 May 2008
Using this book got me 2/4 offers for medicine (after using it for 2 interviews). The book does exactly what it says on the cover. It goes into extensive detail on how to answer a range of questions, from explaining how to tackle ethical scenarios, euthanasia and abortion issues to detailing government influence in healthcare and even describing how teamwork, communication and leadership plays out in a healthcare setting.
on 12 September 2016
Fantastic book. Great preparation for interview as it helps you to think of different scenarios, ethics and responses to 'classic' interview questions. I would highly recommend this book to anyone. I received two offers from two interviews and currently sitting finals.