Customer reviews

Interrupt (Long Eyes and Other Stories)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 October 2014
Loved it
on 3 August 2013
Although I felt that the scientific overload at the early stages made it difficult to immediately connect with, this was a cracking good read. I will be looking for more by this author.
on 21 August 2013
the writing jumped around a bit and the reasons behind the story were not fully explained, but it was still a good enough read.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 29 June 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Apocalypse by Neanderthal? I just couldn't get my head around it.

The world comes to a standstill after a series of Electro-Magnetic-Pulses and solar flares. In true apocalyptic fashion it's survival of the fittest and in this case it would seem that a person's survival efficiency is dependent upon the colour of their skin and/or where they rank on the autistic spectrum. When some of the survivors started communicating by 'singing', I'm afraid that was game over for me.

It seemed to take a long time to get going and longer still to bring all the characters and stories together and by the time it did I had lost interest. I never really connected with any of the characters and didn't really care if it all worked out for them or not. I'm disappointed. It sounded so good, in theory, and had 'my kinda book' stamped all over it.

It seems like a lot of thought and research has gone into this and it's definitely a unique new direction in Apocalyptic fiction...I just couldn't warm to it.
on 2 January 2014
Interesting twist on the survivors at end of the world scenario. The link in with autism was an unusual idea but overall the story was intriguing and thought provoking.
on 15 September 2013
This is a story of survival after civilisation is wiped out by the Electro Magnetic Pulses (EMPs) resulting from solar flares; a novel and thought provoking slant on the initiation of the end of the world as we know it.

Not only do EMPs knock out technology they also activate a latent Neanderthal gene in those on the autistic spectrum. The newly formed Neanderthal tribes communicate by singing and seem far better adapted to post technological life than their homo sapien cousins.

The book starts well and for the first third is for me a real page turner but then seems to tun out of steam. As if the author had a great idea to set the scene but then doesn't know what to do next.

I really struggled to finish this book which was a shame after a promising start.
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a great read for the beach/plane/travel, its page turning, it's a bit mad and it contains a lot of ideas, which are certainly different, if totally unbelievable. I must admit I'm not a regular reader of this genre of book but I did find myself page turning.

The basic tenant is an apocalyptic event in which the power of the sun unravels our world and makes all our technology look like matches in comparison to it's burning heat. Out there in the world where civilization is falling apart are three individuals who we follow through the catastrophe; a biologist, a US Special Forces soldier and a scientist working on tracking sun activity. Each are impacted in different ways by the events unfolding and then through a huge leap of co-incidence meet up and become the collective core of the story. But wait I haven't even started to mention all the other stuff, like the reappearance of Neanderthals and the reaction of autistics to the event and not forgetting an impending war between US and China.

The book follows our three different individuals and how they cope with this earth shattering event, how they meet up and whether this is the end of civilisation as we know it `'Jim'' The author does well to keep us guessing the outcome and crams it full of action. A through tour de force of the imagination - a great holiday read - an outrageous set of scientific theories all make this for good fun. If I am honest, this is not great literature and I was disappointed at the end as there were many possibilities for the future and felt it was cut short - but 4 stars for keeping the interest to the end and looking forward to the film or volume 2
on 1 January 2014
There was just too much going on in this book for my liking. If you like fast action Sci-Fi movies, well then this book may be for you, but really I found it too hard going and generally boring.
As the mother of an autistic son (Asperger's Syndrome), unlike one reviewer, I didn't feel that it was insulting to people with ASD, but I did find it expoitative. This would have been okay if there had been some relevant and useful purpose for it, but there wasn't and the ending was rushed, and you were simply left feeling "what was the point?".
VINE VOICEon 13 June 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If choosing this as a holiday read be prepared to spend your time completely lost in the pages of this book. With a timely reminder that for all humanity achieves one swipe from the sun can change evolution dramatically, not to mention the issue of the Chinese - as solar electro-magnetic pulse leaves the US vulnerable to attack, Interrupt has this fascinating scenario to capture the imagination of the reader from the start.
on 18 August 2013
The story line is what attracted me to the book, the scope invited an interesting, part informative part speculative thriller on a somewhat under-tried topic. This demanded good style, emphasis on the right issues at the right time, and believable characters. Unfortunately the book delivered little of each, very laboured and wandering.

I can't see me trying any more from this author.