on 23 July 2017
It is a fantastic book for both experienced software/systems engineers and beginners. I've read few other books on TCP/IP, but this book is different than the others in the sense that content is concise and well written. So from that point of view this book deserves 5 star.

However, don't buy it from this seller. The print quality is terrible and the worst print quality I have ever seen. Some of the letters are missing in headers, highlighted texts are not readable easily. Please see the attached photos as a proof of terrible print quality.

In addition, I checked the contents before I bought this book and the original book has 30 Chapters, the last one being "Connected Embedded Systems (The Internet of Things)". However, this edition does not have this last chapter.
review imagereview image
on 16 November 2003
The definitive guide to the TCP/IP standard from a man that helped design it. This is the book that every firewall admin or network admin needs to have on his shelf - when your not quite sure if it is FW-1 or IIS that isn't handling that TCP teardown correctly - this is the book which can tell you - and the book that you can trust to be right. An indispensible reference, if not a gripping bed time story...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 December 2002
Vol. 1 (4th ed.), h/back, 750 pages: deals with basic internetworking with TCP/IP and is 'one the Techies'. It is not intended for the non-technical reader wanting to know more about the subject. It is really a student text/reference book comprising 33 chapters, each with its own set of self-assessment exercises. Vol. 1 also contains an appendices containing a comprehensive glossary, extensive bibliography and a long list of RFCs (Request for Comments), all of which can be found on the Internet, if you know where to look. Vol. 2 deals with design, implementation and the internals of TCP/IP and Vol. 3 deals with client-server programming and applications and each of these three volumes are perfect examples of clarity and presentation.
on 25 October 2000
This book came with a strong recommendation from a colleague, an opinion with which I can more than concur with. I have found this book to be the single most comprehensive source of TCP/IP and related protocols available. Furthermore, and perhaps most importantly, the book is very easy to read, well structured and concise. However, it should be noted that this volume does not include in-depth implementation details nor source code but, apparently, the following volumes do. In conclusion this book is both an excellent tutorial and reference book for the TCP/IP protocol suite.
on 3 September 2004
If I was not in a hurry I would write at great lengths about this book. In short it is extremely well written. Not only technically is it a masterpiece, but somehow the author has made the book an enjoyable read! I never thought I would find myself reading and enjoying reading a technical book so much.
I personally can not praise the author enough for the high standard of writing.
I had purchased other books before because they had caught my eye with better covers Etc. They gave me factual statements but did not any the question why the facts were the way they were.
I did not know TCP/IP before I read this book, now with reading a little each day on public transport on the way to and from work, I feel that I have a fair grasp of it. If only more technical books were of this standard!
on 12 April 2016
I was looking for a good introduction (with a good depth) to TCP/IP principles. Douglas Comer's book is very accessible and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn about this area. I'm currently about 1/3 of the way through. I'm glad I didn't get something like TCP/IP for dummies first, this is fine for someone with no prior knowledge. One aspect I particularly like is the historical development included and the differences between IPv4 and IPv6.

Before this I started reading a (legal) online copy of Richard Stevens' TCP/IP Illustrated (vol 1) and I much prefer Comer's approach - though reading books online is never much fun for me so I can't be sure that wasn't part of the problem.
on 4 February 2011
Having read Dr Comer's book from start to end I have to say that it is the best resource to fully understand all the nuances that the TCP/IP protocol suite has. Not only is the book extremely thorough it is extremely well written; very clear and concise and he makes it an enjoyable read. I have also read TCP/IP Illustrated Volume I and have to say that I found that although it was an excellent book it really is a bit dated and also a little bit harder to follow. This is a book that an experienced network professional can gain from as well as anybody who is completely new to networking. As a networking professional myself this book is an excellent resource to have available for reference.
on 1 September 2013
Best N/W book you can buy at any price. Older editions supply all the basics so unless you're a V6 person, any addition is worth having.
on 2 June 2016
Very useful for IT networking professionals or anyone interested in the inner workings of networks or the internet.
on 30 January 2015
This is a great introduction to TCP/IP concepts and really promotes understanding.