on 25 November 2008
I regret buying this book; I must have been a real dummy. It does not provide sufficient detail to be useful. It contains too much padding which the authors regard as humour. It contains inaccuracies e.g. p.53 "...you need a crossover LAN cable that should have come with your DSL modem." Well my modem came with a non-crossover cable and it worked perfectly!
on 17 July 2013
i AM VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT THE BOOK WAS RETURNED TO AMAZON- I CANNOT UNDERSTAND AS IT IS THE SAME ADDRESS THAT I HAVE ALWAYS USED.I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT I WOULD BE RECOMPENSED AND THIS HAS STILL NOT HAPPENED EVEN THOUGH ORDER WAS SENT ABOUT 6 WEEKS AGO.
on 21 December 2007
we bought this book for our mum, but were unable to give it to her. Not only is it aimed at an American audience, but it simply is not useful at all !!! Would have sent it back if it was not sucjh a pain to go to post office on xmas eve.
on 31 March 1999
I bought Internet for Dummies first, at least as far as the Internet is concerned, I really am one; second, it was highly recommended by my server when I signed up.
I expected to use it as a reference work, and still have that expectation, but I was surprised (I don't know why; too many over regimented do-it books I suppose), but I found it eminently readable - so I read it. All of it.
Interesting. Informative. Entertaining. Educational.
In my view, it should be required reading for every tyro cybernaut
Great job
RPVP
VINE VOICEon 23 February 2006
bought it for my dad but i had a read of it and it was pretty good very basic so does what it says on the cover.
on 14 March 1999
I love the "Dummy" books, although I think they are a bit overpriced. Maybe I was a dummy, but I purchased this book after being on the internet for over a year. I guess I was hoping to learn things I had no prior knowledge about. For me, this book basically contained info I already knew. Don't be a dummy like me. Purchase this book while you are a newbie, otherwise you will be wishing you had better spent your money.
on 21 September 2000
Almost everyone has heard of the "For Dummies" books. The "Quick Reference" series' direct method and clear (sometimes playful and fun) language make learning easy. "The Internet For Dummies Quick Reference" is a fact-filled quick reference that gives the chance to find out a small, clear and fun guide which takes the horror out of meeting the Internet for the first time.
"The Internet For Dummies Quick Reference" is a quick guide designed for beginners. Authors do an exceptional job of explaining a large number of Internet terms. You'll also find here a lot of tips for optimizing your browser for speed, building your first Web page, managing e-mail, subscribing to mailing lists, and go shopping on-line. Here is really the perfect guide to help users find their way around the Internet.
on 21 September 2000
I hope, almost everyone has heard of the "For Dummies" books. The series' direct method and clear (sometimes playful and fun) language make learning easy. It is also a well-known computer book series in Russia. "The Internet For Dummies" is the chance to find out in a simple, clear and fun guide which takes the horror out of meeting the Internet for the first time.
As a computer writer, I am always delighted to discover new great book that makes understanding the computer. Many so-called Internet books are nothing more than printed collections of Web addresses. "The Internet For Dummies" is a guide designed just for newbies. Authors do an exceptional job of explaining a large number of Internet terms. You'll also find here a lot of tips for optimizing your browser for speed, building your first Web page, managing e-mail, subscribing to mailing lists, and go shopping on-line. "The Internet for Dummies" is a great start to learning the Internet.
on 18 July 1998
I keep getting knocked off the web or my computer (compact Presario4540) will freeze up while I am on line. I cannot get an answer as to why and I have searched your book from cover to cover. AOL on line cannot help either. They told me to empty my temporary internet files - OK -- HOW? This information is not covered in your book either. Help.
on 16 February 2010
It is now 2010 and this book is well out of date. The speed of light might be fast but the internet evolves even faster so very little of the information will be useful today it talks about Internet Explorer 4 and we are now on IE8. So why did I nuy it? Well I'm writing a highly biased and personal history of the net and this gives me an excellent snapshot of the web in 1999, it was published in February 2000, which keeps me grounded. If you have any interest in the internet as it was a Dummies book is a great place to start some research because it deals with the parts of the net tht mattered to ordinary people, and beginners. It has far too much about AOL (the US version) in it which is why I can't givce it five stars but the cartoons are as good as ever.

Just read it for research if the internet of 2000 interests you, it was a world without Google, but don't buy it hoping for a cheap book that will help you today.