Interior Design Handbook Hardcover – 1 Oct 2001
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Janice Stevenor Dale, JSDA: "Clearly a more comprehensive resource book of this type is needed in the interior design profession. Well worthy of publishing, as it would rank on the most wanted list along with Architectural Graphic Standards." Edward Friedrichs, FAIA, President, Gensler: "There is a strong need for the proposed book. The interior design profession has been in a dramatic state of flux over the past five years. All the materials I know are either fragmented or outdatedCindy is one of the most thoughtful commentators on our profession.
From the Back Cover
The Problem-Solving Tool Every Designer Needs
'Good design is not possible today until we begin working with a broader definition of the profession. The Interior Design Handbook of Professional Practice embraces the profound changes occurring in the design industry now, supporting designers by establishing a benchmark for excellence in interior design practice.' Ed Friedrichs, CEO Gensler
This comprehensive guide, the first title in a joint publishing venture between McGraw-Hill and Interior Design magazine, brings together the best writers and thinkers in the field today. Interior Design Handbook of Professional Practice provides both the knowledge and practical tools designers need to shape and sustain the profession and the physical environments they create for their clients. This book begins with a look at designers themselves, exploring the culture and history of the profession. Best-practice examples explore how designers can be more strategic in their methods, using information technology, financial management, marketing and human resources principles, and team dynamics to perfect the practice of interior design. The authors show strategy in action by presenting benchmarks for the ways in which they address strategy and research, sustainability and global practices. Narratives and examples from a group of today's top designers describe a variety of individual methods and approaches to the process of design while examining effective ways to manage projects and relationships. With the Interior Design Handbook of Professional Practice designers will realize their commitment to professional excellence. This unique, contemporary, and authoritative volume will be a 'must-have' for every interior design library.
What kinds of knowledge do interior designers need to do their work? What knowledge does the interior design profession require to remain viable now and not merely relevant in the future, but a powerful force for social change? And, how can this body of knowledge put designers on a level playing field with other professions, sustain the profession over the long term, and give designers opportunities to influence new thinking in industry, the academy, and society?
The Interior Design Handbook of Professional Practice describes the changes currently occurring in the design profession and industry. It suggests new, unique ways of thinking and working from the experts in the field.
- Growing a Profession by Ed Friedrichs, CEO of Gensler
- Intelligent Interiors and Information Technology by William Mitchell, author and Dean of the School of Architecture and Planning, MIT
- Opportunity for Change by Karen Stephenson, Anthropologist and President of Netform, with Neil Frankel, design partner of Frankel + Coleman and design industry leader
- Team Dynamics by Jon Katzenbach, author and founder of Katzenbach Partners, LLC
- Strategic Practices and Global Practices by Frank Duffy, author, educator, and principal of DEGW
- Sustainable Design by Bill Odell, sustainability expert and Partner, HOK
- The Legal Environment by Barry LePatner, business and legal expert on design and construction law, LePatner & Associates
The handbook is itself designed to be used flexibly and repeatedly by professionals in search of new definitions, new strategies, and new benchmarks by which to measure success. Ideally, this book will provide a catalyst for all designers and students of design who seek excellence in interior design practice. The book is intended to offer a thorough and authoritative account of all aspects of design, from the conceptual to the practical.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Planning
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Techniques & Tools > Drafting
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Techniques & Tools > Structure & Design
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Design Studies > Interior Design
- Books > Home & Garden > Interior Design & Decoration > Professional Interior Design
- Books > Home & Garden > Interior Design & Decoration > Styles & Decor
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology