Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 21 April 2009
This is a fascinating book with a wealth of information on fibres and technique. I have several spinning books, having been a spinner for about five years, and this is the first which has grabbed me to the extent that I read it from cover to cover. I don't think a beginner would get as much from it as its not aimed at the completely unitiated but for anyone who has grasped the basic principles and now wants to branch out and spin specific, designed yarns rather than what just "happens" this book will continually prompt "ah, I see!" moments. The step-by-step photos in the yarn construction section of the book are nice and clear and the text is easy to follow. It will encourage any spinner to experiment and I don't think anyone could fail to improve their spinning with this book alongside. It is extremely well written and is very encouraging rather than prescriptive; I cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 6 September 2010
Wow. I've only been spinning for a year, but I've looked through almost every spinning book there is, and this one is definitely one of the best. It covers drafting and spinning techniques in great detail, describes every spinning fiber you can think of (and some you wouldn't have imagined!), and the plying and design sections are excellent. It is very well organized and illustrated, and her writing style is clear and occasionally highly entertaining. I'm beyond the beginning stage of spinning, and this book has provided me with all the information I need to take my spinning to the next level. Highly recommended.
on 9 June 2013
As a new spinner - and the sort of person who has to understand as well as do something - I have found this book of tremendous help. It goes into the greatest detail about fibre and types of yarn as well as spinning techniques. My mistakes now have an explanation and I have no doubt I will be turning to this book regularly as I progress.
on 16 October 2010
I found this book in my local library and it was a great find. It explains the nature of fibres, the difference between woolen and worsted, how to decide what your fleece is suitable for, and how to spin it. I wish I'd found this book before the Ashford Book of Spinning as it ties together what I learnt in class so much better.
on 23 July 2011
If you want to buy a book about yarn making, this is it. You don't need any more. So thorough in all aspects and all you need for a beginner as well as an experienced spinner.
on 15 August 2010
I started spinning at the beginning of this year (2010) and have bought a fair number of books on the subject. Judith's stands out by being entertaining, comprehensive, very informative and with clear pictures. Warmly recommended, you will not regret this purchase.
on 16 April 2015
This is one of the best books I have ever read about spinning. I would rate it with the works of Peter Teal and Mabel Ross (all now out of print and hard to find).

Suitable for beginners and improvers, but as an intermediate I also refer to it regularly.

The best descriptions of the different drafting and plying techniques I have ever come across. The pictures are very clear.
on 3 September 2013
I was told about this book from a friend who has the version with a DVD... I wish I had the DVD as well!
This lady has a lovely warm style of writing and you can feel from her writing she is passionate about spinning. Her gentle style of recording her experiences when she began spinning and her history (both her own and the craft of spinning) is so tenderly recorded it is a delight to read.

A lovely book. Well worth the money.
on 25 February 2014
Hopefully I will now become more proficient by using a brilliant book which explains all the spinning techniques in a clear and concise manner.
on 9 July 2015
Brilliant book and resource. Great for taking your spinning to the next level