on 2 July 2014
This is a great book Joyce.
I've been sitting here for a while now trying to work out how to give the best, most constructive feedback to you. I think i've been trying too hard to find the right words. Perhaps I am trying too hard to be specific when actually what i was left with after reading your book was a FEELING. Feelings that were generated through the way it was written. It's easy, simple words along with lots of questions broke things up nicely by forcing me to pause and reflect.

I usually need to read books several times for things to sink in or for really good books i'll re type my favorite bits onto a 1-pager where i can access snippets quickly. I'll be doing that with this book asap.

While i was reading I actually visualised myself in the various schools that i've worked in over the years and I couldn't help but think about the different Heads/teachers that i've observed. In particular the schools where this book could be really useful. It was nice to reminisce but other than promote this book, I am limited with the impact that I can personally have. So instead I've tried to relate a lot of the content to other environments that i can have an impact on such as coaching, business and parenting. The art of listening, the use of questions, the way we use our voice, the choice of words we use.. they are all so relevant to creating and maintaining relationships. There were a lot of good reminders for me and excitingly new things that i can put into practice.

So, back to those feelings that the book generated. You've done a good job to make me feel safe although a little uncomfortable. Safe through the way you've spoken to me in your use of words and questioning. Uncomfortable in that there are things I've learned about behaviors that i don't do but know i should. I'm confident that after I have read it again or at least picked it to pieces I will continue to move from feeling safe to feeling inspired.

I highly recommend this book!
on 31 August 2014
Some excellent advice.
on 7 July 2014
If you're interested in learning the latest views on leadership in schools hen this is a great book for your collection. Well written with plenty on thought provoking content, certain to get you thinking!
on 29 July 2015