Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 22 November 2015
Have never bothered reading any Morse books before as I have seen all the t v programmes. What a mistake! The books are so much more rewarding, the characters are created so well that I felt I really knew both Morse and Lewis. Colin Dexter can write a simple description of someone arriving late at a theatre performance and yet make it totally absorbing. When Morse questions someone it's not just "he said"and "I said" it reveals what Morse is actually thinking regarding the answer (which obviously cannot be shown in the tv shows.) Really loved first 3 books and plan to read all of them. What a very clever man is Colin Dexter.
on 30 April 2017
Who could give Mr Dexter's Oxonian detective any less than 5 stars? These are the first three books, and they stand up well to a re-read all these years later. We discover that Lewis was originally meant to be several years Morse's senior - which was sensibly reversed by the TV people - or else we'd never have had the excellent spinoff "Lewis" - that ran to the same number of episodes as did Morse. Whateley said that they decided not to exceed the episode count of the Morse shows in deference to the much beloved John Thaw.
These books are meticulously crafted, with characters and dialogue to delight the most fastidious reader.
No more need be said. Chances are that if you're reading this you're already a fan - but if you're not and decide to buy these books I predict that you'll very soon become one!
on 6 September 2015
We all know Morse from TV and the late wonderful John Thaw but when one reads instead of watching, the full brunt of Colin Dexter's intelligence and superb sense of humour come right to the fore. Reading the stories gives a perfect picture of the flawed genius that Morse most certainly is. A superb read. However, written by any less competent writer than Dexter, I might have become somewhat impatient at the end of book 2 to know who dunnit. As it was, I just basked in the excellent writing.
on 15 July 2015
I love a good murder/mystery story and have read a lot of crime books, but I had reached the point where they were all starting to blend into one - I couldn't remember the name or author of many of them and I just couldn't read about any more serial killers. So these inspector Morse books were a refreshing change. No serial killers, no elaborate gruesome murders. They are (very) old fashioned novels with believable storylines and characters. The first book was my favourite of the 3.
on 2 January 2015
This collection is a great way into Inspector Morse books. It takes you back to the start and turns the Morse/Lewis relationship around. In the books Lewis appears older than his tv version and Morse appears younger. The stories are just as interesting although slightly different from the versions used on tv where dramatic licence dictates necessary alterations.
on 21 November 2017
Not much like the TV programmes...readable but don't think I'll download any more. Although these are the originals I'd rather buy the DVD's and watch them
on 18 August 2017
I enjoyed the novels but couldn't help seeing the TV series in my mind as I was reading.
on 11 November 2015
Watched the Morse and Lewis series on TV for many years. Now I have started at the very beginning with the books.
It is very clear that the actors captured the characters personalities extremely well.
on 24 October 2017
Excellent
on 2 December 2017
If you've seen the tv series and you think you know Morse and Lewis - the books are so much more detailed!