Price:£18.99+ Free shipping

on 28 June 2011
I agree with all the recommendations for this product. But first warning, which I overlooked, is that it does not arrive with the actual caterpillars yet - was disappointing for my 11 year old who was waiting excitedly for the product after saving her pocket money. This is for good reason though. The product comes with a voucher which you use to order your caterpillars - we did this online and it was very straight forward. This gives you a change to make sure you are around for the amount of time to care for the caterpillars and butterflies and also if giving for a gift, to ensure that the recipient will be able to order the caterpillars for a time that is suitable.

We had a couple of queries from an over worried new young entemologist which were quickly cleared up by the very helpful staff at insect lore and it is now 4 weeks later and we have butterflies - it is summer now though so this process has been very quick.

When you receive the caterpillars, you simply unpack them and watch as they grow fatter and fatter. When they become coccoons, this is the tricky bit as you have to transfer them to the butterfly net with a very steady hand. the coccoons are attached to the liner of the lid of the container in which they arrived and this liner was not intact when we had to move our coccoons so it is a delicate operation and we used pins to pin the liner to the net - (we tried the tape option first but this did not work).

Butterflies are one day old today so much excitement in decorating their net with leaves and we are feeding them with oranges. So far so good.

Would recommend this product. Although it is a bit pricey you can use the net again and re-order more caterpillars. Would be suitable from age 4 onwards I would think as all children would find this process fascinating - has been excellent for mum & dad too.
on 23 May 2011
I bought the butterfly pavilion which promised 10 caterpillars for my reception class to enjoy during their Growing project.
Despite the farce that arose around the initial delivery of the butterfly farm I would still recommend it as a learning project in school.
The first pavillion arrived without the promised certificate and we were unable to claim the caterpillars. Amazon replaced the product without question and a postage paid returns voucher. The second pavillion arrived intact and I duly went on line to Insect-Lore to order the caterpillars to find that only two were valid with the voucher code given on the certificate. I emailed Insect-Lore who said there was a problem at their printers who were putting wrong codes on the vouchers. They rectified the certificate for me and 10 live caterpillars duly arrived.
The process of growing caterpillars to butterfly can take 5 - 7 weeks. Had the initial delivery been complete we would have butterflies by now, however, due to all the delays it is now probable that the caterpillars will make their cocoons next week and emerge during the half term break. Although the children are excitedly watching the caterpillars grow in their pots the whole experience will be lost if they should make their cocoons or emerge during the holidays.
I would recomend that should you order this product you allow plenty of time for errors beyond your control.
on 23 June 2012
My grandson loves butterflies and this seemed the ideal present. Unlike some reviewers we had no problems and he is currently waiting for his butterflies to emerge. He is 6 years old and he loves this.
Lovely gift which was well received. Very glad we bought this through Amazon.
on 6 December 2010
an excellent and reasonably priced pop up mesh cage that I am using for stick insects and large grasshoppers. They both feed on bramble and so far I have had no problems with the thorns. Two slight niggles the base is not waterproof and so spraying the cage leads to dripping from the base. The top only unzips half way , preseumably to stop butterflies escaping, which makes putting in an appropriately sized plant saucer (to combat dripping) more awkward.
Overall though I would recommend this as a peice of kit and it might even be good with caterpillars.
on 17 July 2010
The butterfly pavilion is a wonderful way for children, and adults, to observe the private lives of caterpillars as they grow and make the magical transition into butterflies. As long as the instructions are followed the butterflies should emerge soon after pupating and can be released outside. The pavilion can be used over and over again - caterpillars can be ordered each spring for a small charge and need not be the same species as originally supplied. Care should be taken, however, to only order species that will be at home in your part of the country.
on 10 December 2011
I bought this a couple of years ago for one grandchild aged 5, and he enjoyed it so much that I have bought another one for another grandchild. Enormous fun and anticipation, (as well as highly educational!) waiting for the butterflies to hatch, and then amazement when they did. This is a present which is enjoyed long after the day it was given - Christmas or birthday - and actually is fun for all the other members of the family as well.
on 30 July 2011
Bought this for my 5 year old grandaughter. It arrived well packed and prompt and ordering the caterpillars was simple. They have now started to develop into Butterfies and Ellie is intrigued and excited, phoning us regularly with updates on their progress.
We intend to purchase more caterpillars throughout the season as it has become a taliking point amongst visitors plus has kept Ellie occupied and educated.
Excellent value and would recommend for any child.
on 26 March 2013
I have just bought this butterfly pavillion along with a stick insect farm as I thought it would make a great Easter present for my little boy. As usual with Amazon the service was exceptional and I received the product within a day or so of placing the order. However, on opening the boxes I noticed that there were no insects inside at all. Now I fully understand why live insects (or even eggs for that matter are not boxed up) What you do receive is a certificate for your caterpillars or eggs. This certificate can be redeemed on the Insect Lore website who will send you your insects. What anyone fails to tell you is that additional postage will apply in order to actually receive the very things you need to make this product actually do what it says it does.

Now I am certain that this will be a fantastic product and that my little boy will love it when he can finally see the 10 painted ladies growing in front of his very eyes however, unless I now pay and additional £6.00 postage for my caterpillars and stick insect eggs I am left with nothing but a mesh basket.

Now I contacted Insect Lore on this matter and I must say that the level of customer service I received was zero. I was simply told that I would have to contact amazon as this was where I bought the product, even though it was the postage of the insects which was being charged by Insect Lore that was the issue.

So, this product probably deserves 5 stars however it has only received one star in my mind as it is unusable in its current state. My analogy on this was it is kind of like buying a car and then finding out it has no wheels. You have to exchange a certificate in order to receive the wheels but are charged additional costs in order to make your car complete.

Very disappointing indeed and what should have been a nice easter present will now be delayed as the eggs etc will take time to get to me.
on 3 August 2016
the item looks great , i ordered two as presents for both my grandchildren ( different addresses ) and though I knew they'd have a voucher to send off to get their caterpillars , I was disappointed to realise they'd actually have to pay for Post & Packing. I'd rather this have been added to the initial cost rather than the receiver of the gift ( i'e my families ) have to pay for the P&P , its a small amount but just the principal of the thing I object to , sort of takes the edge off the gift
on 15 August 2012
I have actually bought four of these in the last year for my son and as gifts for others. Children and adults love them.
It is magical to watch the caterpillars grow from little dots into adult caterpillars and then see them transform into cacoons and then butterflies (and yes if you watch you can get to see the actual moment of transformation in action)
My first batch of butterflies the only problem I had was the weather. I was struggling to find a suitable day for release day, but the butterflies left happily when we eventually got good weather
I admit with my later purchases I did also start purchasing special butterfly nectar as well in order to feed my butterflies, but you can feed them well enough without