Customer reviews

on 3 November 2009
I loved this book. I actually bought it 20 years ago and, for some reason, never read it. But these things are meant sometimes. Having heard James speak on the radio recently I searched out the book and started to read it and this time I was enthralled. He is a deep and original thinker, very much in touch with his inner world. I enjoyed the account of his theatrical experiences and of his experimental work in the theatre, very innovative and exciting. His spirituality is deep and seems to have been always with him, and he has nurtured it through his wide reading and his lively imagination and through his own spiritual practice. I liked the way the book was divided into three parts, first a brief outline of his life, then an introduction to meditation, and finally a reflection for each day of the month. Each one gave me fresh insights, and were enhanced by extracts of poetry, passages from Jung and mystical and spiritual writers, quotations from Buddhism and the Upanishads, creating a rich tapestry for the mind to feed on. Perfect for early morning reading.
on 13 May 2016
A helpful introduction to meditation, prayer, the inner life. It is part-biographical (a semi-spiritual biography), part mediation. Some might find the theatrical enactments a little esoteric or too much for our British reticence, but they are still thought-provoking, and Roose-Evans is a great and respected theatre directors; this is where his outer and inner lives meet.. I found the meditations at the end of the book the most inspiring part of the book. I will come back to it. His more recent 'Finding Silence' is better, I think, because less biographical and more helpful in directing our own gaze inwards. Well worth reading and pondering.
on 22 January 2015
RECEIVED BOOK WELL ON TIME-AND AT CHRISTMAS AS WELL.
IN GOOD CONDITION DESPITE BEING ORIGINAL COPY. I AM VERY PLEASED.