- Paperback: 298 pages
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (24 May 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1849517207
- ISBN-13: 978-1849517201
- Product Dimensions: 19 x 1.7 x 23.5 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (5 customer reviews)
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
463,286 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #159 in Books > Computers & Internet > Web Development > E-commerce > Web Design > Website Design
- #375 in Books > Computers & Internet > Web Development > E-commerce > Web Design > Web Graphics & Animation
- #467 in Books > Computers & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > Web Design Applications
- See Complete Table of Contents
Inkscape Beginner's Guide Paperback – 24 May 2012
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
About the Author
Bethany Hiitola is a working writer and technology geek. With a degree in Scientific and Technical Communications, she's worked as a technical writer and multimedia developer for over 12 yearsshe spends the rest of her time as a wife, mother, gadget geek, and Master of the Household. She's written more user manuals than she can count, essays, novels, and a few technical booksincluding Inkscape 0.48 Essentials for Web Designers. More details are at her website: bethanyhiitola.com.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
The book loses a fifth star for relatively minor points. Not all screenshots match one's experience with, in my case, Windows 7. The pop quiz feature is wasted space in my opinion. The page numbering is a fine example of poor graphical design - why are the numbers so small and in bold typeface? The index for any technical book must be at least 10%. Here we find ten and a half pages of index for a book of 268 pages.
Do not let my whingeing deter those new to Inkscape. This book took me from post-installation to producing quality 600dpi PDF output in less than one week. That PDF output produced stunning printed material from commercial printers.
This book has saved me tens of hours of trial and error and I am happy to recommend it.
If you're new to creating art working with a computer, new to vector drawing, or even want to transition from Illustrator to Inkscape, this book will get you from clueless to experienced in no time.
The text shows how vector graphics as implemented by Inkscape is quite easy to learn. And quite different from raster or bit mapped images like GIF, JPEG and BMP. The power of vector graphics is in its ability to retain sharpness under essentially arbitrary magnification. Whereas any raster image will inevitably turn blurry upon deep resolution.
Hitola also gives a nice treatment of the comparative merits of vector versus raster images. A balanced discussion. Plus, she shows more usefully how to combine these. Essentially, pure photographs are fundamentally raster in nature, while text and geometric graphics can and perhaps should be vectorised, provided that they do not overlay a photo.
You also learn that Inkscape lets you read and write to PDF files. Important for compatibility with other programs.
The chapter on making paths, especially using a Bezier tool, is quite detailed. Perhaps more so than texts on other vector graphics methods. A chance to really learn thoroughly Beziers.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Graphics & Multimedia
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > Image Manipulation & Creation
- Books > Computing & Internet > Web Development > Web Design > Applications
- Books > Computing & Internet > Web Development > Web Design > Web Graphics & Animation
- Books > Computing & Internet > Web Development > Web Design > Website Design