Infrasound Monitoring for Atmospheric Studies Hardcover – 14 Jan 2010
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
The infrasound field, the science of low-frequency acoustic waves, has developed into a broad interdisciplinary field encompassing academic disciplines of physics and recent technical and scientific developments.
The infrasound network of the International Monitoring Network (IMS) of the CTBT-Organization has demonstrated its capability for detecting and locating infrasonic sources such as meteorites, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, auroras, mountain associated waves... Nearly 70% of the global network is now operational and regional cluster arrays are deployed around the globe. Systematic investigations into low-frequency acoustic signals have evidenced an unprecedented potential of the monitoring of infrasonic waves permanently generated by natural and man-made events. Furthermore, recent studies point out new insights on quantitative relationships between observables and atmospheric specifications, and therefore opening new fields into the mathematics of geophysical inverse problems for atmospheric remote sensing.
This volume reviews the most important areas of infrasound, with emphasis on the latest researches and applications, e.g. instrumentation, engineering, signal processing, source monitoring, propagation modeling, atmospheric dynamics, global changes, remote sensing methods.
Researchers and students will benefit from a comprehensive content of infrasound related topics, where both fundamental and applied topics are discussed by authors from international institutions, all experts in their fields.
About the Author
A. Le Pichon (Master Degree in Fundamental Physics. PhD in Acoustics) Since 1998, geophysicist at the French National Data Center (NDC), hosted by CEA/DASE, in charge of Infrasound research activities on topics relevant to Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO): signal processing for automated detection and source location procedures, propagation modeling, methods for source characterization.
E. Blanc: Research director at CEA. Main research areas are infrasound and gravity waves, electrodynamical coupling of the atmospheric layers, atmospheric disturbances produced by lightning and sprites. She coordinated international research projects: study of infrasound from strong chemical explosions in USA and in Russia, HF radar observations of the disturbances of the equatorial ionosphere, space observations of lightning and sprite.
A. Hauchecorne (Research director at CNRS; since 2005 Director of Aeronomy Service Laboratory):Main research areas are dynamics and climatology of the middle atmosphere; transport and mixing of ozone and minor constituents in the stratosphere; analysis of satellite data analysis and data assimilation in the field of stratospheric chemistry; lidar techniques for the measurement of stratospheric parameters.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geology > Economic Geology
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Civil Engineering > Environmental
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Civil Engineering > Mechanics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Engineering Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Experiments, Instruments & Measurements
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Applied Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Physics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Geology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Physics