on 4 September 2014
What a dopey lead character, too stupid to charge a phone or have any sense of self preservation. It is amazing that she survived long enough to fill a book, which I assume sho does as this is described as book 1 of a series. I got half way through but found her so irritating that I gave up.
on 13 September 2014
Well 3.5 really!
An easy quick enjoyable read.
Willow is a fairy who works for the Arcane ( the non-human police force). Her special fairy powers allow her to bake treats which can influence how others feel or how they act, and her treats are in hot demand.Some of these treats are so influential that they are sanctioned by the Arcane and you need a license to buy them.
After returning home from looking after her mum she finds she is under a vampire death threat. Her Arcane issued protector turns out to be her ex -boyfriend who has just broken her heart and she soon discovers has also turned into a vampire...
Good idea but bit basic in delivery.
on 11 March 2013
Deanna Chase is a new author to me and well what can I say but Wow I totally enjoyed this book from the moment I read the first page till the last one I was captured in the world of vampires, wolves and fae.The story line is amazing you totally get caught up in it. So many twist and turns in this book but not ones you don't understand it all fits perfectly.

The characters are great to even the bad guys stand out to you as they are written well. I especially loved Talisen not only because he is hot but how he was with Willow it was really sweet and I was happy with the way the book ended.

I did feel for David at the beginning but as the book goes on he made his bed and has to deal with how things play out.

Willow finds out about her brother and how he died, and there are a few surprises for her along the way. I do feel sorry for Willow it seems everyone is hiding stuff from her but she is strong and I think she always tries to see the good in people. The Blurb pretty much tells you what you need and I don't want to give any spoilers but this is a well written page turner of a book and I loved it.
on 5 May 2016
Willow is an easy to love character.. except she is just too stupid for words and has relationship problems more in keeping with a 16 year old. Sadly the story just wanders from one unsatisfying situation to another. There is little joy to be found in reading such an uncompromisingly silly Willow getting into vicious situations anyone with two brain cells would have stayed away from.
As for her love interests... both of them really are poorly devised and indeed act more like teenagers than adults.. the only, and I do mean only, good character is the little dog.
Sorry.. just a very poor book all round.
on 24 January 2014
This book has the potential to be good, there are some features that makes it sound promising:
· The alternative world where it's set
· The transforming Shih Tzu
· Interesting characters
I really enjoyed these concepts as I hadn't read an urban fantasy quite like it before (and I've read a lot!) and the love triangle kept me interested. However, as another reviewer hit th nail quite rightly on the head, the author didn't spend enough time developing her characters, everything just felt a little unfinished and there was a lack of finesse in her writing.

The main protaganist tries to come across self assured, having strong views on how her products are used and what is right and wrong, but unfortunately it comes across the opposite way. Appearing a little immature and flakey. Disappointedly, Willow gets lost amongst the other characters and I ended up being more interested in David and Talison. On a final note, the plot flits around too much so at times you may feel a little lost.

So if you want a quick, light read where you can overlook the flaws I would suggest this, but buy it in the Magic after dark bundle, as it's not worth paying £2+ for singularly.
on 25 July 2015
I suppose it was OK.

To be honest I was a bit disappointed; the blurb casts our heroine, Willow Rhoswen as a part-time vampire hunter - I love strong, intelligent, capable, kick-ass female leads. In my opinion Willow is none of these things and I found myself hoping that she'd get bumped off & her best friend (a real kick-ass heroine IMHO) would take the role as main character in this book...

This book has earned 2 stars because I liked the plot twists; who was behind the death threat on Willow? Eadric Allcot powerful leader of the vampires friend or foe? and relationship quandary David or Talisen...

... but I won't be buying any more books in this series.
on 17 November 2013
**ARC Provided by Netgalley and Bayou Moon Press, LLC for an honest review**

I found this book really slow reading for at least two thirds of the book before it picked up. Lots actually happened but it never grabbed me and took me for the ride.

The last third picked up, but i don't know if that was me just wanting to get to the end of the book.

Willow is a faerie with an affinity for living things. Her twin brother died a while ago about the same age as her father in the same place. Talisen was her brothers best friend and has flirted with her for years. He has become one of her best friends and has always been there for her.

Phoebe is her friend and roommate back in the city and is a witch who works with her at the Void. Phoebe keeps her alive.

Willow always forgets about her phone and her family has a history of dying early. Especially the first born males.

During this book Willow connects with an ex boyfriend that was human, but is now a vampire. Unfortunately all he told her about him is lies apart from the fact that he loved her. But he has been looking out for her since her brothers death by order of his father and sire. His sire has been looking out for her due to a family connection.

Willow is kidnapped by her aunt who is charge of the void but turned nasty. Willow has a small dog which turns into a wolf and helps protect her.

Secrets are learned about her family and others are revealed. The ending of the holds no cliff hangars making you want to wait for the next book in the series.
on 6 January 2014
This book was a sweet surprise!

Willow is a fairy - and she even got wings! Caught between the vampires, one of each is her ex-boyfriend, recently turned vampire to her horror, and the Void, her employer, she doesn't know who to trust and asks for Talisen's, her friend, help.

This is a story that gave me pleasurable hours of reading. Willow is a very special and sweet character, for whom is easy to feel sympathy. Also David, her ex-boyfriend and Talisen, her friend for whom she have some romantic feelings, are riveting characters.

Another new series that hits my "must read" list!
on 2 September 2014
That's a sign it's an enjoyable, fun, easy read. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes supernatural romances.

A couple of slight niggles - it's set in New Orleans but you'd barely know it, it feels like a waste of such a unique city that there aren't that many location-specific details.

The other niggle is hard to write about without giving away a major plot twist. But here goes. The name of a character who appears briefly makes no sense given their circumstances and putting sentimentality over logic and practicality like that really irritated me. I still keep thinking "why?!"
on 5 September 2014
As soon as I saw the name of the heroine in this book, I had to see what was going on. You see, there was this major vampire series from the 90s. Don't know if anyone remembers it: Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And the thing is... Buffy's best friend was called Willow Rosenberg.

Willow Rhoswen. Willow Rosenberg. Both have red hair.

Now, that could just be a clumsy, extremely close to the knuckle pop culture reference, so initially I was willing to let it slide. But Willow Rhoswen has a male childhood best friend on whom she had a crush at 15 (she's 24 years old when the book opens and it's stated she has had the crush for nine years) but with whom she is still close friends. So did Willow Rosenberg; her friend's name was Xander Harris.

Willow Rhoswen's best friend Phoebe hunts vampires - and used to do it alone. Willow Rosenberg's best friend was Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the one Slayer whose destiny was to walk the path alone. Rhoswen and Phoebe even meet up at a cemetery in the first pages of the book.

Willow Rhoswen has a vampire ex-boyfriend called David. Willow Rosenberg may not have had a vampire ex, but Buffy did: Angel, played by DAVID Boreanaz. Willow Rhoswen also has a werewolf that protects her. Now, I'll admit Rhoswen's is an actual dog, but nonetheless Willow Rosenberg had a werewolf boyfriend who protected her.

Director of the Void is Maude Jenkins. Buffy has an ex-demon friend called ANYA Jenkins. Hell, Anya's birth name was Aud, so there are even less letters between the characters' names. Maude is described as spiteful and dangerous with bad reputation for holding grudges. Anya was a vengeance demon, so read all of the above.

Willow Rhoswen lives in an area swamped by vampires. Willow Rosenberg lives on a Hellmouth, which is also swamped by vampires.

I'm all for fanfiction, and I have no negative opinion of fanfiction being adapted into regular fiction, IF the parallels to the original source material can be entirely stripped away. As it is, I'm left concerned about plagiarism. There are lots changes - it would certainly be an AU Buffy fanfiction, and an okay one - but not enough for a Buffy fan not to notice, and the characters, through their roles and/or names, are just too much of a slap in the face. I cannot believe it is legal to rip something off to this extent.