Customer reviews

on 7 February 2012
I'd been hearing good things about Darren Humphries' work for some time now and, on that basis, decided to give one of his books a spin. I've always been a science fiction fan, as my groaning bookshelves will attest, so this title came as the ideal starting point.

Mr Humphries has written this book with a Douglas Adams / Terry Pratchett voice. In that respect it has succeeded very well. The interplay between the characters is sharp and entertaining at every point. The story moves along well and there is plenty of enjoyable dialogue.

For the most part I really enjoyed this book, but, and there is a but, something happened to the end. Everything was going wonderfully until it got to 97%. I think the problem with this book is that the enemy is too good. There is a fine line between the hero being cornered and being able to fight his way out and the same hero being painted into a corner. I felt this was the case with this book, where the author had succeeded with the painting, thrown away the brush and decided to have the wall demolished from the other side by the next door neighbour.

I know this is going to sound odd, but don't let the ending stop you reading this book, it really is a treat. There were times when I cursed the end of my lunch break as I was enjoying myself so much. On a number of occasions, I was howling out loud with laughter and annoying my colleagues by insisting on reading out sections of dialogue.

On that basis, I'm going to have to knock off a star for the ending, otherwise it would have got a perfect score. If you are a Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett fan, you'll feel very at home with this Darren Humphries book and enjoy it immensely.
on 10 August 2011
Story
The plot moves along at a good pace with lots of adventurous action. I liked the unexpected changes of direction and the way the plot developed. I was a little disappointed by the twist at the end. Twists that reframe the whole situation can strain credibility, particularly when you're deeply involved in the story.

Characters
Kaymer Haynes is an interesting character, a con man with a sense of humour. I found him very engaging, with a sense that there was always a lot more going on than he was letting on. Other characters are lightly but effectively drawn. I loved the stroppy computer and the bonkers Dennis Crump.

Presentation
There is an error in the book description; "ever copy" instead of "every copy". There are similar grammar/punctuation errors in the book (I noted 13), such as "Huge blocks of plas-wrapped cargo was floating free". If small errors of this kind irritate you when reading then you may find that detracts from your enjoyment of the story.

Overall
I was intrigued by the title of this story and slightly puzzled by the end of the book because it wasn't clear why it was called that other than as a jokey take on "To Infinity and beyond". I enjoyed the humour and adventure in the story, and I liked the characters, too. The first couple of chapters are brilliant and it is a very entertaining read. If it hadn't been for the imperfect proofreading and the credibility-straining twist at the end, I would have given this 5*.
on 6 October 2011
I enjoyed this - a lot! It's one of those stories that begs to be read in a sitting once you've been sucked in, and it's an antidote to many of those po-faced sci-fi books.
Our hero, Kaymer Haynes, is suitably disreputable, and established as a Man To Be Reckoned With during the first few pages as he escapes an inescapable prison.
A story that romps along, good characters and plenty of humour make for a really good read. I shall read more by Darren Humphries.
on 28 February 2011
Just finished reading this and it was great.
It's well written and a laugh on every page. I loved the characters in it and would like to read about them again.
This is the second book I've read from this author and I've enjoyed both immensely.
I will definately be buying his others, they're all real bargains.
on 5 September 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book.I have tried to remember the name of the film and series this reminds me of but I just can't.It's irrelevant anyway.This book is so very funny I laughed so hard at some of the scenes it really cheered me up.This is not a serious book but it's such fun to read and that's all that really matters.I get so bored at times with the misery I read ,sometimes entertainment is all that matters and that's what this book did.
I am hoping the rest of this authors books are as funny.
on 13 February 2012
I found this book to be very funny and witty - it had me laughing out loud at times. Darren Humphries has a style which is similar to Douglas Adams but he is still his own writer. I enjoyed reading this.
on 22 October 2011
This book slammed me straight on the funny bone. Some books cry out to have bits memorised so you can throw out quotes at appropriately humorous moments in your life. This is such a book.
on 6 December 2011
A rollicking good space yarn. Well told and written(apart from a few errors),this is a fun,action-packed,pacey story,which I enjoyed immensely.
edit: i have just re-read this novel and it is even better the second time through.
If you enjoyed "the Stainless Steel Rat" by harry harrison you almost have to like this funtastic book
on 4 September 2012
A fun and entertaining read, good solid characters and some genuine laugh out loud moments.

It's not a highbrow piece of entertainment but if your looking for some escapist sci-fi fantasy then it'll fill a few hours.
on 16 December 2012
This runs along very nicely and hardly ever runs out of steam. In some ways it reminds me of a comedy action film, while our anti-hero tries very hard to avoid any action, apart from that with the girls (which is the only type he has a hard time finding).