Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 April 2013
I love this type of fantasy story. All the elements of discovery abound as the central character slowly discovers and builds on a knowledge of magic lost to his world. I'd give it a 4 (4.5!) out of 5 if there were far fewer typographical and grammatical errors. I know (and partly agree) with the reviewer who says it's still a good story. But part of enjoying a book is being drawn in to it, drawn in to the story, drawn in to that world. This author is clearly capable of doing just that. But when you read (for instance, there are a long list of bloopers) that the central character is raining down lighting on his enemies, an exciting action scene is replaced in the mind's eye with a trip to the local DIY store and lots of light fittings falling to the floor. And so on, and so forth. I really hope the author meant lightning.... When someone's heath deteriorates, you wonder at the moorland and hillside. Really, I'd just encourage the author to run a spellchecker on it... the kindle copies can be updated... Aside from that, a very promising beginning to a new series to read in to and keep me on the straight and narrow as I bus it in to work...
on 26 January 2013
while I enjoyed the premise of the story the were a large number of spelling mistakes or words missed out that caused me some confusion at times, it also seems as though the author could have gone into more detail on some subjects but I still found it engrossing and ended up in in the unfortunate state of having read it in a matter of hours, only to realise I could not keep on reading as there was no second book.

I hope the second book will be released quite soon as I don't want to forget about the series as regularly happens to me although I do agree with what I have seen some others say about the book needing someone to look through it to find these mistakes.
on 10 February 2013
Im really not sure on what i think of this book, the idea behind the story in itself is good, the delivery is dissapointing, the main character goes from a nobody to hero in a couple of pages, which really limits the character development and although it is a fantasy novel you want it to be a little bit believable. There are also numerous spelling and grammatical mistakes which also detract from the novel. Would i buy the next one ... maybe but as long as its cheaper than this one as its not worth its current price
on 9 May 2014
The storyline and plot is great, if a little predictable, but had me hooked from the moment I picked it up all the way through to the conclusion in book 6.

My only complaint is the dreadful structure. Whoever his publisher is should be sacked. They appear to have run it through a spell checker, but failed to actually read it themselves. The wrong words, spelt correctly are used all over the place (Example; the wondering patrol instead of wandering patrol. "the seeping mage" instead of sleeping etc). There are at least 2 errors on each page, and it becomes very distracting, I often found myself having to reread sentences, replacing or inserting the correct words and punctuation. If this had been properly checked by the publishers, it would have had 4-5 stars easily. Sadly this reoccurs in every single book. Proofreadingservices.com should be ashamed of themselves.
on 17 August 2015
This series has a lot of potential. This first book is very short, just 171 pages long; I managed to finish it within 24 hours. That was one of the main things I liked about the book, I have a very short attention span so this was the perfect length. However, there is a problem with this though; all the information is crammed together, everything you need to know is given to you, but very quickly. The whole story seems rushed, one chapter could be easily stretched into five without being too long winded. The way it was written reminded me of movies that have been adapted into books, so I think this would be better as a movie than a book.
When I started the book, I thought that it would be good for children to read as well as adults; however there were uses of strong language and sexual references which seemed very out of place. These put me off as I felt they were very unnecessary. Also, many of the main characters are very young. The main character is 14 years old, and is often hit on by older women. I found this slightly disturbing, and the main characters comments towards an eleven year old and a seven year old character made me slightly uncomfortable. I feel like all of these characters should have been older.
A popular subject in other reviews is the editing. The editing is bad, there’s no other way to describe it. There are many grammar mistakes and several lines and phrases are repeated more than twice, which are unmissable. With better editing, this book could be five times better.
There were many things I liked about the story despite all this. The world it’s set in is very interesting and defiantly something I want to find out more about. There is a history to it, and it seems very well developed and thought out. In the story, men are treated lower than women, which is a very interesting role-reversal.
Overall, I did enjoy this book. I’m keen to find out how the story progresses so I will be reading the rest of the books in the series.
on 1 December 2013
I loved the premise, but the book reads like bad juvenilia. The dialog is stilted, the characters are unbelievable, and the hero is pretty flawless. Skip it.
on 26 February 2013
...painful spelling (you're vs your in several places), typos and grammatical errors, and quite a few him/her mix ups that leave you scratching your head as to who's talking and who's being talked about. Needs editing, then 4*'s.
on 23 April 2013
Spelling and grammar mistakes in this are a lot and thats a shame as made hard to follow in plades,

Also its a promising story to start and looking foreword to seeing hoe develops from hear on out.
on 26 June 2013
I found the first book disappointing, it was finished poorly, I was having to re write sentences in my head as I am moving along the pages, the story seemed too rushed, he finds a book on magic and trains himself, it seems you're only good if you are ok with enchanting and then you cannot heal, but 'our' mage can.........
on 5 April 2013
It's boring, badly written and reminds me of a school essay by a semi-literate seven year old.
How on earth did it get published?