The Industrial Revolution in Scotland (New Studies in Economic and Social History) Paperback – 5 Feb 1993
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
' … a very valuable addition to the series and should broaden perspectives beyond Scotland'. Labour History Review
The Industrial Revolution in Scotland is an accessible account describing the nature and impact of early industrialisation, not only in the towns of the Borders and in Dundee, but also in the Highlands and Islands. The social and economic causes and consequences of the Industrial Revolution are also considered.See all Product Description
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Whatley has done a credible job of examining all of these factors in a most scholarly and objective fashion, synthesizing all of the more recently collated statistics and economic indicators and deriving some new insights how the revolution occurred in Scotland. He usefully compares the phenomenon with the antecedent events in England in order to make the analysis more reliable and pertinent. His style is pretty much that of an economic historian, making for some tough going at times. There is hardly a trace of the characteristics of the important personalities of the movers and shakers, which would make for a livelier read, perhaps. But this is available in other sources, and within his own sort of approach carries it off well, making the book valuable to professionals, but accessible to the interested layman as well.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Business & Economic History
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Economics > History
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Professional Finance
- Books > History > Archaeology > Industrial Archaeology
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Industrial Revolution
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Scotland
- Books > History > Social & Economic History > Industrialisation