on 28 April 2017
Amazing recipes, truly lovely food. If you like Indian food you'll like this book. The recipes have an authentic feel as she makes everything from scratch, using dry spices and pastes. The dishes are lighter than you'd get in curry houses as they use very little ghee, but the flavours are really robust. I like how she talks a little about the background of the recipes and how they'd be cooked in the various regions of India, then adapts them for the UK so it's easier to get ingredients. Speaking of ingredients, if you're new to cooking curries you might have a long shopping list at first but a) dry spices keep for months, b) most supermarkets stock the basics such as cumin seeds and turmeric, and c) there are various online stockists where you can get everything else. I look forward to weekends when I have the time to potter about in the kitchen concocting one of these delights. There's also a handy section at the beginning where she explains and expands on some of the requirements of the recipes. Love it.
on 18 April 2013
While I am unimpressed with Ms Anand as a TV presenter, as I feel she lacks warmth, I was interested in the recipes presented and bought the book. Upon looking into it, I am better pleased with it than I thought I would be at first glance as layout is bland and a bit 80s...a quibble, but there it is. The biggest drawback is a serious one: the comments are in much larger type than the recipes method, which is not helpful. Also, many of the recipes are squashed together 3 to a page, making the smaller type that much harder to read. Poor planning, or did the author not expect people to really use the book? However when you get into the recipes I see a lot of things I wanted: good veggie and fish recipes, a simple recipe for homemade paneer, and several recipes for toor dal and urad dal. I wish they had put the explanation of ingredient names in the front rather than the back, but other than that it looks like a good book, and a bargain at 7 quid for a hardback.
This book may not be for people of Indian background, but they can always turn to the Web for the many blogs written by and for experienced Indian cooks. For beginners like myself who want simple, clear explanations and recipes in what is for us new territory, I recommend this book and the Hairy Bikers Great Curries.
on 17 August 2017
This has some good recipes though my disappointment was that it does not link to the tv series of the same name as much as I had assumed. I mention this in case anyone else is drawn here due to the tv series. If you like Indian food this is not a bad addition to your cookbook library.
on 25 June 2013
A good book to try a varied Indian cuisine with variations of traditional recipes and an eye on the fat and calorie and salt contents for the health concsious amongst us!
My favourite fish one Is Coconut Mackerel curry.
I love the simplicity of making Panneer cheese, so much flavour when you make it yourself and so fresh.
I previously had this book from the local Library and kept re-newing it for over 2months! Now I've got my own copy!
good book!
on 31 December 2016
Fantastic book that has become a staple for me - I've cooked from it dozens of times with delicious results, and the recipes are fairly simple. I suggest using the traditional ghee instead of vegetable oil in the recipes (modern research suggests it's healthier, and you'll get richer flavour).

Particular favourites: Himalayan Lamb and Yoghurt Curry; Dry Coconut Lamb; Coconut Mackerel Curry; Bengali Prawns in a Mild Coconut Gravy; Spinach with Tomatoes.
on 8 November 2016
Exceptionally easy to follow, truly authentic flavours. Just a bit surprised the recipes don't all feature the Spice Tailor method or ingredients. Will you be including this on your website or even a pdf file?
on 16 February 2018
Arrived well on time. Recipes look interesting but not as the tv show. That’s my only gripe really.
on 19 May 2012
An Indian cookery book that actually works. The recipes are a curious blend of Indian cusine and what appears to be food from a cross the globe. The important thing is the recipes work, the end product tastes delicious and you will naturally fill your larder with spices, pulses and herbs that you will not have used before. - buy it, cook it, love it.
on 9 April 2018