on 21 March 2011
The editors missed a few opportunities to do their job properly here and there, as other reviewers have noted, but that does not detract from the most comprehensively excellent set of recipies I've had the pleasure of reading - and cooking from.

If you like cooking and need inspiration then this is your source. Possibly it's a little unnerving if you like to follow detailed instructions to the letter, but if you are happy in your kitchen and like Indian cooking then this has got to be just about the most cost effective addition to your meal repertoire that you could ever make.

My gravest complaint is that the book only has two page-marking ribbons - it could do with six!
on 4 March 2017
Present for my girlfriend - she loves it! The bag it comes with is great too!
on 17 April 2017
It is a nice book and it covers all areas.
on 17 June 2014
The recipes are summarily written and often omit important details (like saying "add a little water" to make the spice paste, when you need as much as 300-400 ml - about 2 cups - of water!!!).
If the book was written for non-Indian readers, it fails its purpose: only if you are really steeped in Indian cuisine, can you correctly interpret the recipes.
on 24 June 2017
This would be my 10th cookbook regarding the Indian cuisine, I would say am well familiar with the techniques and recipes by now - and I have to say this one's definitely worth the hype. A great variety of dishes, including something I've not seen in other Indian cookbooks - Tribal foods from the North East! Naga pork stew with bamboo shoots, and a couple other unusual things you wouldn't see elsewhere. Also, mr Pant has done a better job at dividing the Indian cuisines into categories. Whereas usual cookbooks just lazily state north-west-south-east, this book divides them into nine and gives background on each. Absolutely worthwhile! Extra love to the masala section. While I would have liked to see included some more regional masala recipes (like for example the Marathi goda masala, or a couple types of Kolhapuri masalas), its a great book for those wanting to familiarize themselves with Indian food and cuisines, and for those already familiar I'd recommend it for its inclusion of adivasi and tribal recipes, and awadhi cuisine which is also more scarcely seen on regular cookbooks pages.
on 1 February 2011
Whilst I truly like this cookbook and have only made 2 dishes from it I was dissapointed by the proof reader as in both cases either the some of the ingredients or method were missing, if not in whole then at least in part. As I have some experience of Indian coooking this did not present any real problem but I wonder how a less experienced home cook would manage.

Having said that the book does present well and is easy to use. The receipes are varied and appear interesting so I look forward to finding some more errors!
on 22 January 2014
Never been more chuffed with any cook book!!
A must buy!
And no i don't work for anyone connected with this book ether.
My kitchen is now fall of spice, it's only taken me 47 odd years to get round to it.
Dare i say it, everything i've cook has been better than any restaurant i've eaten in!
Brilliant!!!
on 16 September 2012
This is the perfect book for a confident cook who needs some inspiration. I've tried a good number of recipes and haven't found one that didn't come out well. I've not noticed any missing ingredients, but as any good cook should expect, there is a certain amount of "season to taste" involved in getting the best out of this book.

The reason I said "beginners beware" is that the style of the book is very much no-nonsense and assumes that when it says you need to do something, you are confident enough to make it happen. This is definitely not for people looking to make the first step up from opening a jar of Patak's curry sauce and who are hoping for a bit of hand holding. Personally, I'd recommend something like "I (heart) curry" by Anjun Anand which explains how the common Indian spices interact and the basic "curry method" for a real beginner, at least until you are confident enough to tweak recipes.

This will live on my kitchen shelf for years, slowly gaining annotations and greasy marks :)
VINE VOICEon 9 March 2011
I apprehensively ordered this cookbook knowing that some previous reviewers have commented on ingredients being missed out in the step-by-step instructions. I have only cooked from the vegetable and fish section of main courses to date, but must have cooked over 40 dishes so far, and have yet to come across any mistakes or omissions.

Overall, I am really pleased with the results. Lots of the dishes are quick and easy to cook and the results, for such a short amount of time spent in the kitchen, are fantastic. I have even made my own paneer, which I would not have had the confidence to do without the simple and easy to follow instructions in this cookbook.

Granted, there are lots of ingredients mentioned that you will not be able to find in your local supermarket, e.g. urad dal, black cardamom etc., but there are a list of suppliers at the back that I have had no problems ordering ingredients from to date.

This comprehensive cookbook, that will take an age to exhaust, comes highly recommended.
on 4 November 2010
I have been waiting for this book with anticipation. I have not come across any mistakes or incomplete recipes yet - as mentioned by some of the other reviewers - but there are a whole lot of recipes to go through.

This is by far the most complete Indian cookery book I have ever seen. This book + Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Bible are probably the only Indian cookery books you will ever need.

It is true that this book seems to be written for experienced cooks. The recipes are very brief so you do need to be confident in technique - confident enough to improvise a little to make the dishes to your own taste.

The photos in the book are beautiful, but it could have done with some more.

I read the comments from other reviewers about the quality of the paper. The quality is fine. The paper is a coloured uncoated stock and is probably chosen as a design feature more than anything else.

one warning - and a downside - read carefully for how many portions the recipes are, as this is not consistent throughout the book. i ended up cooking a huge pan of curry for 6 people!