- Audio CD (22 Feb. 2010)
- Number of Discs: 1
- Label: Ace Records
- ASIN: B00347ZYLG
- Other Editions: Audio CD
- Average Customer Review: 4.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (9 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 151,527 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
Incomparable Soul Vocalist - Big Top Recordings
|Price:||£13.16 & FREE UK Delivery on orders dispatched by Amazon over £20. Delivery Details|
|You Save:||£1.83 (12%)|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
* Lou Johnson cut a CDs worth of great NYC Brill Building and 1650 Broadway soul, mainly ballads, for the rich and successful Big Top label. His work is as good as any singer of the era and he also happens to be compiler Harboro Horace's favourite vocalist of all time; Lou's talents are quite rightly praised to the hilt.
* On this CD Kent have every known Big Top recording, including five unreleased acetates and a non 45 LP track from an album that was never officially released.
* There is the original and a great previously unheard vocal take of Lou's Northern Soul dance classic `Unsatisfied'. Plus his stunning original version of Roy Hamilton's revered 45 `The Panic Is On' which outshines even that great record.
* Writers Bacharach and David used Lou for the male interpretations of their great 60s soul ballads which were often hits for Dionne Warwick. Lou's more uncompromising style meant they didn't sell so spectacularly but they were more than the equal in performance. `Reach Out For Me', `The Last One To Be Loved' and `Kentucky Bluebird (Message To Martha)' are taken to another level of artistry and emotion.
* Unheralded song-writing team Giant, Baum and Kaye, who had considerable success with Elvis Presley, provide the majority of the songs. Their relationship with Lou was the artistic high point of both participants' careers.
* Several years in the making, this compilation is a must for every serious soul fan and every lover of 60s soulful vocals on impeccably crafted songs.
Top Customer Reviews
PS. Having listened to this several times now i feel it deserves 4.5 instead of just 4 stars.
Bacharach also wrote for Babs Tino whose complete output along with her label mate Barbara Chandler is now available on the Cat King Cole label.If I Never Get To Love You was recorded by both Babs Tino and Lou Johnson
The only Lou Johnson recordings available in the U K were singles which were of songs promptly covered by others like Sandie Shaw,Adam Faith and the Koobas so few would realise that Johnson had made the first versions
'The last one to be loved' is worth the cost of the CD on its own. Lou manages to add more feeling to this song than even Dionne Warwick ever did - and that's quite a compliment.
The person who gave this CD a lowly 2 stars doesn't understand soul music!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
a cd i was looking forward to ,but outside the tracks played on the northern soul scene i was disapointed .Published on 29 July 2010 by I. Milne
INCOMPARABLE SOUL VOCALIST - LOU JOHNSON .What can i say about Lou Johnson AWESSOME springs to mind.a fantastic collection of his BIG TOP recordings. Read morePublished on 26 May 2010 by Mr. Stephen Callear
I have waited for ages for this, and wasn't disappointed. Without doubt the standout tracks are the well known singles (Unsatisfied, Magic Potion, If I Never Get To Love You), but... Read morePublished on 22 April 2010 by boblambert5