on 31 March 2017
After reading The Road Less Travelled many years ago I couldnt believe this was written by the same author. I gave up after 2 chapters, not wanting to read numerous criticisms on every place he visited and details of his infidelity.
on 8 February 2006
Appalling - I only kept reading because I just couldn't believe it was going to be so bad all the way through! Just a list of complaints about food, hotels, everything he encountered, from London and Cardiff to the Isle of Mull in Scotland. Basically, for him, nothing is as good as America so it would have been better if he'd just stayed home. Also, there are several mistakes, particularly in his use of Welsh. Why didn't he do some proper research? And who needs to know about his medical problems or all the affairs he used to have (because he got bored with his wife early in their marriage). This poor woman was still being dragged around with him to see the few stones he got around to mentioning, all those years later. I read up to the bit about how this ego-on-legs felt he was being used as an instrument of God and that was it - I couldn't stomach any more. (Try Julian Cope's "The Modern Antiquarian" instead if you are interested in standing stones with some legends thrown in. It's a wonderful book written by a truly sensitive and INTERESTED author.)
on 23 September 2005
I read this book because I have an interest in prehistoric sites and wondered what a famous self help guru might have to say about them. I looked forward to a spiritual discussion of these ancient, enigmatic monuments. Unfortunately the book turned out to be more about Mr Peck and less about megaliths. If your idea of fun is reading a long list of complaints about food, hotels and the lack of refuse bins in train stations etc then this is the book for you. His views on Britain seem to be a continual whine about how it is "not like home". When not complaining about breakfasts, the author indulges in long, self indulgent monologues about his family, beliefs, infidelities and smoking. Honest maybe but I ended up feeling very little sympathy for him. When we do get round to talking about prehistoric sites his "insights" are questionable to say the least. I can understand how someone can wax lyrical about a little known dolmen in a field, after all beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However his dismissal of the dramatic and beautiful Pentre Ifan left me speechless. If you want to visit prehistoric sites in Britain please don't use this book as a guide or you will end up missing some truly beautiful places. Just to set the record straight the reason that there weren't any bins in the station is because at the time of his visit, terrorists were planting bombs in them. If the author had stopped complaining for a few minutes he may have found this out for himself.
"In Search of Stones" is a book to be enjoyed and savored on many levels. First the book is educational. We accompany Dr. Peck and his wife Lily on a three-week trip through the countryside of Wales, England and Scotland in search of the ancient megalith stones erected by prehistoric people between 4,000 and 1,500 BC. But their obsession with stones also acts as a catalyst for Dr. Pecks exploration of topics such as religion, romance, despair, addiction and peace. We learn about George Fox the 17thC Englishman who founded "The Religious Society of Friends" known today as the Quakers. Fox not only inspired thousands to "see the light of Christ" in each other but also to match his bravery in the face of imprisonment, beatings, illness and hardship. Their silent group meetings could only be broken by anyone who was "moved" to speak by their Inner Light. Secondly the book is autobiographical. We learn about Dr. Peck's fears and shortcomings. Although I was saddened to learn about his sexual infidelities, regular recreational use of marijuana, nicotine addiction and about a "strong habituation to alcohol" I also appreciated his honesty. It took courage to shatter his public image of saintly self-control. In revealing the pain and shame of his own inner space Dr. Peck gives us permission to explore our own unconscious mind. Thirdly, the book is thought provoking and inspirational. Dr. Peck discusses the three prevailing beliefs about good and evil: the denial of evil, the denial of goodness, and the acceptance of good and evil. He endorses the latter and believes that evil was defeated when Jesus died on the cross. Redemption is the simple mop-up operation of what remains. Although I believe evil is another mask of God to teach us unconditional love I appreciate his sharing his thoughts, thereby giving us an opportunity to discover where we stand. Dr. Peck believes integrity is more important than inner peace; apathy, not hate, is the opposite of love; life is full of paradox and that salvation is an ongoing process.
on 7 November 1998
Well known writer M Scott Peck had a bit of a thing about standing stones. Not only is this a good read about an American couple puzzled by the quaint otherness of British ways, but it gives a good feel for what makes megaliths special to some of us :-) If you're a partner of someone obsessed by megaliths, this is your chance to find out what makes them tick!
on 15 February 2010
This book is woven around a trip which Scott Peck and his wife Lily took through Scotland to discover megalithic stones. It is a gentle story which provides a structure for his thoughts on more complex themes such as the human condition, our link with something greater, and his analysis of the lack of integrity in various areas of life. He interweaves these ideas with events as they unfold. The one criticism I would make is that he tends to transfer narrative word-for-word from his previous books, which I found irritating. Nevertheless he introduces some new ideas which I found enlightening.
on 27 October 2012
Excellent
on 15 April 2014
I am an old'ie and have had no problems getting books on Amason. For a second hand book, it's just fine to read and clean.
Jane