on 14 September 2013
What a great book. I was travelling to Portugal for my holiday and fancied trying a bit of surfing,so I thought I'd take this book to read.
The trouble is,after reading Allan's wild adventures down south in central America the thought of sitting in a mini bus with 10 other newbies and getting driven out to the nursery waves just seemed ridiculous :-)
This guy has lived a hell of a life,and if only 50% is true its still a cracking story.
The tension is hanging in the air all the way to Costa Rica. But humour too. And,of course,cracking stories of adventure on the waves.
I have to admit I probably wouldn't get on a boat with this sailor !
I enjoyed his surf philosophy too.
I laughed and i cried reading this book. I'm not going to give anything away though. Buy it. Take it on the road. Its where it belongs.
on 5 February 2018
my review is simple, if you like surfing, read it, I loved it
on 4 April 2014
I enjoyed this book. Great descriptions of US and Mexico / Costa Rica. Funny in places and Weisbecker has an interesting tale to tell. If you like it check out the DVD Zen and Zero, also quite quirky.
on 22 July 2013
a great writer, witty, funny, great book if your in to surfing or travelling or both. makes you want to pack up the board and hit the road.
on 21 January 2017
nice
on 12 May 2007
I'm reluctant to give any book five stars and maybe I'll downgrade this in future, but for now it's the best read I've found for years. Weisbecker is a hugely entertaining author who has put some incredible experiences down on paper. You don't need to surf to enjoy it ('though you may get a little more from it), I laughed out loud a lot but also got a couple of jolts recognising parallels with my own life although I've lived a hell of a lot more sheltered one than Weisbecker! Hopefully his new book will get out of litigation and on sale soon as this has left me hungry for more. Buy it now!
on 11 June 2007
This is an epic book that is still not as widely known as it should be. Buy it and revel in an unrivalled surfing adventure.

Weisbecker gets everything spot on and if you read it in preperation to going away I reckon it will make your trip that little bit more special.

Perfect.
on 1 December 2006
Allan Weisbecker is one of the best writers around today. His books are bursting with all kinds of emotion and intelligent writing. You can't get bored of this stuff whether you are a surfer or not. He has led an incredible life and you can feel that when you read one of his books, as his real life experiences are behind his writing. Imagine sinking $30 million worth of Columbian pot attempting to ship it to the US!! Allan isn't one to shy away from the real issues in his writing either as his website and latest book are testimony to.
on 22 April 2001
Surfing runs through this book and Allan Weisbecker's life like the stringer in a surfboard, but don't be put off if you have no interest in surfing, it is a reflective and intelligent read, at turns funny as he looks back and recounts past anecdotes and also sad as he considers the eventual fate of Captain Zero. A definite could-not-put-it-down read.
on 24 July 2017
I thought i was buying a book about surf, but i have to warn you, the surfing in this book is something like 5% of it. Not worth it if you are looking for something surf related.