on 1 March 2014
From the moment I opened this book I was completely absorbed and found it very difficult to put it down. The author takes us into the unknown and utterly alien (To us westerners) world of life for a working woman in Saudi Arabia. Not only does this book cover her experiences of working in Arabia, it also takes us on the extremely personal journey of her own religious spirituality and gives us an insight into the inner workings of Islam. The book is wonderful... You laugh and you cry, your jaw will fall open and you will find yourself gobsmacked at the young men in their fast cars and at the self centeredness (is that a word? It is now) of their lives, and then heartbroken at the loss of a colleague's child on a busy road. I could spend hours explaining the many nuances of the difficulties faced by both men and women in the Kingdom. The author has left herself wide open to another book or maybe even as many as three. I for one would have loved to have read more about the patients she helped and the simple ordinary women she met. This is one of those books you hate to finish! More Please Dr Ahmed and soon!
5 people found this helpful
on 6 July 2014
Enjoyable but overwritten and ostentatious in style which for me detracted from the narrative. I found the long sections on Islamic doctrine rather boring, even though I have lived and worked in a Middle Eastern Islamic country myself. The constant name -dropping of designer brands was also tiresome.
However, an interesting read. I would have preferred more of the content to reflect the author's work as a doctor, and how illness impacts upon indigenous families. It would have added to the book to include the structure of the healthcare system within such a rich country with an Islamic culture which states everyone is equal in the eyes of God- is there free access to all?
2 people found this helpful
on 6 February 2013
I enjoyed this book a lot. The writer has a pleasant style and makes you feel like you are living the experience first hand. It is, at times, weird to think of a world where you exchange phone numbers as your primary means of communication (I somehow feel like e-mails and facebook are more prevalent now) - and MSN Messenger. Nonetheless, the book gives you a very private view into her life and that of her friends. She is very candid and outspoken and her observations are very nicely contoured. She also introduces you to a world of Islam that I had not encountered within my studies (where everything is more theorized). All in all, a book worth reading.

The only flaws I see are some descriptions that drag on and on (think a lite version of Proust) and some stories left in mid-air. I would have liked to know more about certain people or realities within the kingdom. Maybe she'll write a sequel, who knows :) I'd buy it for sure.
on 19 February 2013
Read the reviews before the book, they covinced me! Unfortnately, I find utterley boring. Slow moving, non inspiring....havnt read a book as bad as this for years..........Save your money. Much better written stuff on Amazon on this subject than this one.P.S a word to the author, stick with the other job.(Surgeon?)
One person found this helpful
on 11 March 2015
An interesting story but slightly boring in parts as has been said before book would benefit from a lot of editing
One person found this helpful
on 24 November 2017
The power and resilience of us women is captured in this book. Good read
on 17 November 2013
This is the first real insight I have read into the female perspective on living and working in Saudi Arabia. It is not biased from a political or religious viewpoint. I would recommend it to men and women.
on 19 May 2013
This is a most interesting book if you are intrigued by what life is like in the Saudi kingdom. I can't say it is a great literary genius but it's not supposed to be, it is more like a chronicle of this lady doctor's experiences there. I'm half-way through and know I will be sorry to come to the end of this book.
on 16 March 2014
I spent over 16 years working in Riyadh Saudi Arabia from 1974 - 84 and then 1988 to 1994. The story was about a lady Doctor and her experience working in Riyadh, I knew the hospital she worked in and areas she mentioned so it was interesting for me from that respect.
on 17 September 2014
Gave me more insight into Islamic views,now want to read more about Islam and educating women.