on 12 November 2006
This book gives many stories about implementing lean principles as it goes through them. There has been a considerable effort to get stories relevant to software development. There is a strong bias in the stories toward product development over bespoke, and some stories relate more to non-software products so the reader will need to understand and apply the principle to his / her own situation. For all of this, it is a treasure house for anyone wishing to propagate the message of lean development. One would need other books or knowledge from other sources to before being able to implement the individual recommended practices. For lean development this is a great starting point to capture the imagination.
on 5 November 2009
I expected to learn about the leans ideas in the area of SW development. This book really fullfilled my expectation on this. The book is very focused, 230 pages, which I really appreciate. I found the examples from different industries that the authors very useful. It gives depth to the presented ideas. I think that everyone that is invoolved in SW development should read this. Many agile books and processes focus on product development in a way that seems typical for product companies. But this book is also useful for the SW consulting segment, both for the buyers and the sellers of these kind of services.
on 18 January 2016
The authors have created a great guidelines for implementing their lean software development approach as I didn't read their first book. I can judge the methodology only in this case. I admit I love I see the true connection between lean startup movement. I can high encourage reading this book when you want to approve your development work. It's good guidelines how to avoid famous "water-scrum-fall" way of developing software which I can see around for many years. Maybe you will try to not call your approach lean, just reason about it senses.

The reason 4/5 is I would love to improve chapters Quality and Partners, I would make them more simple, the details of communication or processes are not that necessary as each organization is different.
on 28 May 2009
This book contains excellent explanations of Lean principle and, more importantly, how they apply to IT delivery (projects, change requests, etc.) with clear and rich examples. Examples were so relevant that at times it looked like the authors had been visiting my company before writing the book.
Innovative and very interesting tools(to me) like using value stream maps for waste elimination (especially on delays and queues), pull scheduling for effective prioritization and management are points that I will definitely take on board and try to apply in my daily job.
on 15 March 2009
This book has totally transformed the way we look at software development and hence our ways of working. For me the biggest impact was in the "absolute elimination of waste" chapter and the use of value stream maps. Many concepts are counterintuitive but work extremely well. If you are into improving your software development processes, this book is a must.
on 19 October 2010
A very good introduction to the lean concepts. After reading this book it became very clear where the major sources of waste are in the projects I work on. It may not prove so helpful to everyone but it helped me realise that you can actually do something about this waste rather than assuming it's just the way it works.
on 15 March 2015
This book surpasses the original Lean Software Development book (by the same authors). I really understood what I needed to do after reading this book. The theory is very well explained and joins nicely to usable advice.
on 8 January 2007
This is an important subject and there aren't many books that look at how you apply Toyota's lean manufacturing techniques to the software development business. Read some of the more general "lean" literature first before you get to this if you want to know what "lean" is all about.

Dissapointment is manifest from early on. We are told that one of the big problems of software development is that "customers just don't know what they want". I'm not really sure this adds anything new to the general debate on how software is built. I think it was okay for Brooks to take this tone when he wrote the Mythical Man Month in 1975 but surely not 30 years on.

But if you can make it through the trite homilies about the authors' children and how teams can achieve more than individuals there are actually some nuggets in here that are worth reading. In particular:

* do a value chain analysis on your development process and expect to be surprised

* recognised partially complete work as wasteful inventory

* don't plan for 100% developer utilisation

* look at your contract structure and make it cater for, rather than try to eliminate uncertainties.

I guess the ultimate irony is that this book itself needs to be subject to the lean treatment. Take out about 100 pages of wasteful waffle and it would be a good read - next time hire an editor, Mary!

So read this book - but keep that barf bag handy!