on 27 July 2009
At the beginning I didn't know on what to expect about this book, I didn't know anything about the author, and I have never read a book about creativity. While I was reading a very interesting blog post where the author strongly recommended this book, I decided to buy it. I was amazed, the book is really interesting and funny, Hugh MacLeod demonstrates a lot of insightful points and theories. I see it as a motivational book. It surely helped me especially on the point of my life where I don't know what to do with my professional career. Besides MacLeod's view points, each chapter is accompanied with several of his business cards, which by the way are brilliantly creative.
on 1 January 2013
I usually enjoy books of this nature, but this really is the book I could put down. I wish he'd just written on a business card "I happen to have a wide range of high-powered contacts and as you'll never be as creative or successful as me, you shouldn't bother. Oh yes! Before I forget, I've got a penis." He failed to raise a smile from me . . . maybe there's a reason why he has to stick with base references.

To be fair, I'm sure this book is great for certain characters - eg those who also sneer at talented, creative, helpful and friendly people who aren't so well off, financially. A much more enjoyable read is "Steal Like an Artist" which will, at least, make you smile. It was written by MacLeod's mate, Austin Kleon.

Finally - and this isn't a criticism - but what the hell do 'kvetchy/kvetching' and 'schlepping' mean? I lost the will to bother looking.
on 7 July 2011
Book did not disappoint, it was nice short read, I was done in 1 day.

The book is written in the blog post format (and it is collection of blog posts) which I personally enjoy. I have to say though "ignore everybody" was not as provocative as would have expected, but it was okay from that perspective. Cartoons where just great, I have to say.

Overall nice way to get some inspiration and pushing within just couple of hours. Not more than that though.
on 29 December 2009
I enjoyed this book. It basically talks about the idea that you should pursue something original that you enjoy and that could potentially lead to financial reward later on, rather than looking at ideas to make you money. The book is a very easy read and I would have given it 4 or 5 stars if it hadn't been so short - the text is really spaced out and the book could really been a third to half as thick.
on 9 July 2009
Ignore Everybody: And 39 Other Keys to Creativity is based upon the hugely successful, Change This Manifesto, entitled "How to be Creative". Building upon his earlier work, Hugh MacLeod brings together his collective wisdom of thoughts on creativity.

As Steve Clayton describes, there are a number of stand our chapters in this book. In particular, the following chapters stood out for me:

Chapter 8 "Keep your day job" with the excellent description of Hugh's Sex and Cash Theory.

Chapter 11, "The more talented somebody is, the less they need the props". This chapter serves to remind us that the tools aren't important. True creativity comes from within, regardless of the tools used.

Chapter 3 "Put The Hours In" stuck a particular chord, where Hugh states "Doing anything worthwhile takes forever. Ninety percent of what separates successful people and failed people is time, effort and stamina".

And Chapter 18, "Merit can be bought, Passion can't". In this chapter, Hugh states that: "The only people who can change the world are people who want to. And not everybody does".

Absolutely. Sometimes, being passionate about something and wanting to change things is great. However, it is important to remember that not everyone may feel the same way.

Overall, the book is an easy read, with Hugh's unique blend of wit, genius and dark humour. Though his cartoons have been available on Gaping Void for years. It is a real treat to finally have some of them available in book form.

Ignore Everybody is a book that can be summed up with one of Hugh's own cartoons (see above). It enriches your understanding on ways that creativity can prosper. Whilst at the same time Hugh simplifies the process, with tales from his own experiences.

I wouldn't just recommend this book for people seeking new ways to be creative. This is a book I would thoroughly recommend for mums, dads, friends, lovers, co-workers and neighbours. Ignore Everybody is a book for everyone. We all display creativity in our everyday lives and Hugh's book helps us to remain focused. A common sense book for modern times.
on 31 March 2013
This book is very short and to the point, but is littered with some very funny cartoon pictures that poke fun at so many very human situations and worries. Using his cartoons and some really wise words MacLeod is able to investigate the old age dilemma of creativity v realism in career and life. He rightly points out that so many of us have a creative contribution to make, but taking this too seriously chasing it to a point beyond reason or even ignoring it all together, solves nothing. He charts his own rise to success and brings in stories about the best way to find a balanced approach to unleashing your own creativity. However MacLeod doesn't tell us anything we did not really know before, but seems to put his ideas in a funny well presented way that makes simple sense. For instance the simple idea to; do something small, do something you enjoy and do it as often as possible, seems wise advise. Not a game changer but good food for thought.
on 21 July 2009
Discosure: I know Hugh and he sent me a freebie review copy of Ignore Everybody, so I'm completely biassed.

So is Hugh's book, which should be obvious from just a quick glance. This is not a well-researched, supposedly objective guide to optimal creativity. I've read some of those and not really enjoyed them.

Whereas this admirably concise little book got me laughing a lot, feeling sad a bit, and sometimes disagreeing strongly. You certainly don't have to take any or all of the advice he gives but I suspect most people will at least be prompted to think again about how they go into the world and what they really want to do.

For me, the impact was to remind me to take a few risks, conform a bit less and get behind the stuff I really believe in. Just reading the lovely reviews appearing above this one, you can see what happens when people get a little bit of creative inspiration.

So I suggest you grab a copy before that next flight and enjoy yourself.
on 14 August 2013
this is just a quick, flick-through, kind of a book. But, if you're the type to not run with the crowd, you'll probably find yourself smiling or agreeing out loud with what you're reading. As I did!
on 21 August 2013
I bought this for some inspiration on creativity but it's more than that. Broken into short digestible sections this easy to read and very enjoyable book is a must for anyone needing inspiration - not just for creativity, can be broader topics too. There is humour in each chapters with two of Hugh's famous business card drawings at the end of each halter. This is a book I will revisit again and again. Recommended!!!
on 26 March 2016
This is one of the only no-nonsense self help books that has inspired me to get off my ass and do something. Its got a kind of "This worked for me so this is the truth" tone to it which might not gel with some people because it can come off as arrogant sometimes but its straight forward advice is very sensible and leaves me feeling really uplifted I dont know how it works it just does! Honestly if you don't like cheesy self help books and you are a creative type who finds it difficult to motivate themself to do the creative work that you know in your heart you want to do then this will really help.