Have one to sell?
I'Ll Pick A Rose For My Rose - The Complete Motown Recordings 1964-1971 CD
|Price:||£14.13 & FREE UK Delivery on orders dispatched by Amazon over £20. Delivery Details|
See all 4 formats and editions Hide other formats and editions
Only 4 left in stock (more on the way).
Dispatched from and sold by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.
Note: This item is eligible for click and collect. Details
Pick up your parcel at a time and place that suits you.
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
This shopping feature will continue to load items. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Page 1 of 1 Start overPage 1 of 1
1. I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose (Stereo Lp Mix)
2. I'm Not A Plaything (Stereo Lp Mix)
3. Just The Way You Are (Stereo Lp Mix)
4. Sleep (Little One) (Stereo Lp Mix)
5. Bad Girl (Stereo Lp Mix)
6. Everybody's Gotta Pay Some Dues (Stereo Lp Mix)
7. So Glad You Chose Me (Stereo Lp Mix)
8. I Wish I Liked You (As Much As I Love You) (Stereo Lp Mix)
9. I Miss You Baby (How I Miss You) (Stereo Lp Mix)
10. Why Do You Want To Let Me Go (Stereo Lp Mix)
11. You Got The Love I Love (Stereo Lp Mix)
12. There Goes A Lonely Man
14. S.O.S. (Girl In Distress)
15. Let's Talk It Over
16. Save My Love For A Rainy Day
17. She's All I Need (In This World)
18. Farewell Is A Lonely Sound
19. Another Lonely Night (Completes Another Empty Day)
20. Just Look Through Your Window At The World
21. Why Do You Want To Let Me Go (Mono 45 Mix)
22. I'm Not A Plaything (Mono 45 Mix)
23. I Miss You Baby (How I Miss You) (Mono 45 Mix)
24. Just The Way You Are (Mono 45 Mix)
25. I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose (Mono 45 Mix)
26. You Got The Love I Love (Mono 45 Mix)
* Kent's collector-oriented series of officially authorised Motown releases continues with this first-time-on-CD reissue of Marv Johnson's "I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose" album from 1969, complete with a bumper 15 bonus tracks from the vaults: the first CD of this great artist's Motown recordings there has ever been.
* Marv Johnson was there at the birth of Berry Gordy's fabled Detroit empire with his Tamla single 'Come To Me' in 1959, which Gordy placed with the established United Artists label for national release, using the proceeds of the deal to finance recording sessions. Marv remained with UA until 1964, when he returned to the Motown fold. There he released three knockout singles on the Gordy logo, but found further hits hard to come by, at least in the USA.
* It was a different story here in the Motown-hungry UK, where 'I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose' reached the Top 10 early in 1969. To satisfy demand, Motown dug into their vaults for tracks to create a similarly titled LP for the British market. The album was never issued in the USA. The first 11 tracks on this CD represent that LP in its entirety, mastered from the original stereo tapes used by the British Tamla Motown label in 1969.
* The next nine tracks are presented in recording date order. They include the four numbers that have surfaced on multi-artist CD collections in recent years, plus five exclusive previously unissued masters, some of which have been circulating on underground bootlegs for a while, but here are superbly mastered from the precious original Motown tapes. US Motown took particular care with their singles mixes, and for the many aficionados who prefer them, the final six tracks consist of the original punchy mono mixes of Marv's three Gordy 45s. In other words, this Kent CD comprises Marv Johnson's complete Motown recordings 1964-1971.
* Compiled and annotated by renowned Mojo award-winning Motown historian Keith Hughes.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
on 9 April 2017
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
One of the second string acts at Motown, confirmed by the material contained in this collection. Marv doesn't have the vocal prowess of other Motown male artists. It's an interesting collection that includes his take on a couple of songs that hit big for other artists. The standout tracks are unsurprisingly his biggest hits - unfortunately there are only a few other tracks that match that quality- the remainder being generic Motown "filler". I reckon that with more play I might (hopefully) warm to some of the tracks
on 9 January 2014
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
I just love Motown and this is a super CD. Not enough is made of Marv Johnson and I seem to be turning more and more to older music, Motown, Northern Soul etc. as the charts no longer hold anything that I care to listen to. This is well worth a listen.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Been looking for one particular song to replace vinyl and found it, plus some unheard songs which are very good.
Seeing Marv perform in the UK in the early nineties supporting the Four Tops UK tour was a real treat. A great showman he was a joy to see on stage and exuded 'happiness'.Read more
I am really pleased that Marv Johnson has finally secured a release of his classic Motown recordings.Read more
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Pages with related products. See and discover other items: presents for new mum, best wife gifts, wife presents