HyperX 120GB SATA3 3K 2.5-inch Gaming SSD Drive
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- SandForce controller technology
- High-speed SATA Rev 3.0 (6 Gbps) transfer speeds
- Performance - optimum speeds for better productivity
- Cool and quiet - runs silent and with no moving mechanical parts to generate heat
- Shock-proof - dropping your notebook no longer means losing your data
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Kingston Technology HyperX 3K 2.5-inch SSD
Take Your Computer to the Limit
Great for gaming. Perfect for photography. Whatever you need from a high-performance computer, kit out your computer with Kingston Technology SSD.
Features and Benefits
- Kingston's HyperX 3K SSD is ideal for budget-minded gamers and computer enthusiasts alike. This SSD combines premium NAND Flash memory and a second-generation SandForce controller for ultra-responsive gaming, multitasking and multimedia computing performance.
- Super Fast -- incredible speeds for enhanced productivity, gain the benefits from increased boot up time, improved gaming experience and quick transfers and edits of large media files.
- Responsive -- loads games and applications quickly; additionally experience ultra-responsive gaming, multitasking and multimedia computing power with a Kingston SSD.
- Built for Endurance -- an SSD has a longer life span than a traditional hard disk drive (HDD) due to Data Integrity Protection technology and superior shock resistance.
- Superior Design -- black aluminum casing to enhance the look of your system.
- Cost Effective -- by replacing and upgrading your hard drive, Kingston’s HyperX 3K SSD lets you revive your system without stretching your budget.
- Silent -- your laptop or desktop will run cooler and quieter with a Kingston SSD. SSDs have no moving parts which reduces background noise and heat of your notebook or desktop compared with a traditional HDD.
- Compatible -- Kingston SSDs are SATA Rev. 3.0 SSD with backwards-compatibility to SATA Rev. 2.0 and 1.0, which means you can fit your SSD in a wider range of PCs and laptops.
Why have a Kingston Technology SSD?
- Experience up to 5x faster start-up and load times
- Transfer files in a flash
- Get super smooth video and image editing
- Kingston SSDs have no moving parts
- They won’t crash, overheat or fail
- Every Kingston SSD comes with free technical support.
- Opt for the handy DIY kit and replace your hard drive
- Follow easy, step-by-step instructions
- Turn your computer into a high-powered machine.
Designed to meet the most rigorous demands of gamers, over clockers, creative professionals and tech enthusiasts, HyperX is the high-performance product line from Kingston Technology. Featuring best-in-class components that deliver superior speed, quality and aesthetic design, HyperX memory modules, USB Flash drives, headsets, cooling fans and SSDs put users at the top of their game.
1 x 120GB HyperX SSD + bracket and mounting screw
What do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
On installing it, it did cause some initial problems with the AMD display drivers, but this was easily fixed by re-installing the OS and switching to AHCI in the BIOS, rather than SATA IDE. AHCI improves the speed of the drive considerably.
I like that the drive comes with a 3 year warranty, but bearing in mind that this drive is capable of performing 3000 re-writes, you could effectively re-write your entire drive every single day for the next 10 years before it would wear out, which is something the average customer is never going to achieve in 3! ;)
The drive is also exceptionally good looking with an eye catching finish in brushed steel.
I needn't have worried. Installing the SSD was easy, largely because I had done some research beforehand. I removed the SSD from its snug packaging - contriving to drop it on the floor from a height of about three feet as I did so, a fall that had no detectable effect on its performance although it would have destroyed most hard drives. I removed the old system drive, installed the SSD in its place using the 2.5-inch to 3.5-inch conversion kit that comes in the box, and temporarily installed the old drive in a spare slot (luckily I had a spare SATA cable and power cable too). Then I booted to a handy Parted Magic DVD that came with a Linux magazine, and used this to clone the old hard drive to the SSD. A couple of small, and perhaps unnecessary, tweaks to align the partition start properly, and I was done. Removed the old drive, buttoned up, and rebooted; instead of 2-3 minutes, I was looking at the login prompt in about 30 seconds. Windows XP responds a lot more smartly, too.Read more ›
Windows 7 start up time pressing the power button from cold with the HDD was 2 minutes average, start up time with SSD = 26 seconds!! every time with the same programs installed, it takes only 15 seconds to boot windows according Glary Utilities
Best to do a clean install of windows 7 or 8, I first made a mirror image of the old HDD but there were errors and I found it was much better to do a clean install of windows 7 and all of my usual programs which only take up 33.8GB total, I have documents, pics, vid's etc stored on my old HDD, this way I have more than enough storage space (300GB HDD + 120GB SSD)
My PC is a 2 yr old Vostro 260, upgraded Ram from 2GB to 5GB, this made only a small improvement
Fitted the SSD and Wow! even though the motherboard is Sata2 (instead of the faster Sata3) the improvement in read and write speed is Very notable
Old HDD VS SSD Average Read and Write Speeds:
Test Program: ATTO Benchmark (Repeatable Accurate Results)
Read: 83494 MB/Sec
Write: 82722 MB/Sec
Hyper X 120GB SSD
Read: 218684 MB/Sec + 162% Improvement
Write: 225576 MB/Sec + 170% Improvement
These results are with a Sata2 motherboard
(With a newer PC the SSD Read and write speeds would be around double the SSD MB/Sec above)
.Read more ›
Everything worked exactly as it was supposed to do, but note that there are no instructions in the box so make sure you download them from the Kingston site first - and print them (select just the relevant language section, otherwise you will get about 300 pages) or read them on another device. The cloning software worked faultlessly, but it helps to have the printout of what messages to expect along the way.
There was one error message near the end of the process, I chose 'ignore' and the program completed the transfer, and nothing bad had happened yet.
This drive is fitted in a notebook so no extra bracket is needed, and I thought it was missing from the pack. However its under the top foam packing piece and its bright blue!
Read the faqs on the website, there are useful tips including a warning about removing your windows user password before cloning - you can of course reinstate it after the changeover.
The old drive, which is getting bad sectors, is still usable as an external usb drive.
I have no idea how this drive compares with others, but the bundle makes it extremely easy to install and clone the old hd, so it worked for me. And yes, the ssd is quieter and faster too!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I have used my computer everyday for 2.5 years with this SSD with no problem. I'm not doing any crazy server level read/writes, just typical use.Published 1 month ago by Mash
Great SSD. Though SATA cable was missing from packaging.Published 5 months ago by Tommy L Cakebread
One of the best preforming SSD's on the market, and you can trust your data on it as well.
I have been running this little beauty for just coming up to 2 years, and it... Read more
This drive started to lagge after about a year or so! There was was nothing Hyperx about it!!Published 7 months ago by Mr. A. A. Onabajo
SSD's sata connection broke whilst I was removing the sata cable. I'm extremely experienced with working on computers and I was removing the sata cable gently and making sure it... Read morePublished 8 months ago by Garry