Customer reviews

on 11 October 2001
Having never heard of Geoff Nicholson, I was mooching around a bookshop and came upon two of his novels "Hunters & Gatherers" and "The Eroll Flynn Novel". Both caught my attention and I ended up plumping for "Hunters & Gatherers". I absolutely loved it.
The characters are very real and believable - all the threads of the story interlink very cleverly by the end of the novel, although some may find it all a little too convenient.
Part thriller, part comedy, part just a normal guy going about writing a book - the pace never lets up and I found it a complete page turner.
Since reading this have bought and read "Bleeding London" and "Footsucker" and thouroughly enjoyed them - although both of them are a lot darker in their humour.
Having bought/lent/recommended "Hunters & Gatherers" to others - not one person I know who has read it has not thoroughly enjoyed it.
2 people found this helpful
on 16 July 1998
Having read 'Footsucker' and 'Volkwagens'; this is my favorite Nicholson novel so far. (The others were good too.) A great cast of eccentrics showcase the search for the nature of collectors and their collections.
One person found this helpful
on 7 March 2000
Though you can say this novel is tricksy; it`s about a writer down on his luck, meeting accidentally another writer, and post-modern; it has insert chapters about hunting and gathering; and you can see bits of Martin Amis and Paul Auster in it...it is also a fantastic page-turner of a read. The characters are well-drawn and fascinating--he is great at his female characters--the plot has twists and turns you cannot believe--and there are set-pieces of comedy which make you laugh out loud. I literally couldn`t put it down and ended up reading it in the bath. Fiercely intelligent (Borges,Nabokov and Bellow seems to be other influences) but also a rollicking adventure as they say ,in the spirit of Tom Sharpe and other very British farceurs. This was my first Nicholson novel and after this I quickly read the rest. Most of his novels would make great films too...visual,action-packed with great characters.
One person found this helpful