Customer reviews

Size: 10 UK|Colour: Black|Change
Price:£49.89+ Free shipping

on 13 June 2012
I've always bought PVC or army surplus wellies, but about 16 months ago I decided to go for a top quality brand and bought a pair of the above. They were used exclusively for dog-walking in grass fields and then only when it was wet. A week ago I detected dampness in one foot but just assumed it was water which had somehow entered at the top. However, on checking, I discovered a split in a seam. I contacted Hunter, attaching a photo of the fault and their response included,

" I passed your image on to our technical team. Their feedback has been that it is difficult to identify exactly what has caused this to happen, however there may have been some additional stress to this area, causing the rubber to split."

There has been no stress in this area other than normal light wear. Any manufacturing process can produce faulty goods, but it is the subsequent attitude of the maker that is the acid test. Hunter has refused to replace these boots, so they have consequently lost a customer for ever and I would advise any intending purchaser to be aware of this possible drawback. This has been alluded to by other reviwers.
33 Comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 April 2017
Boots are fine, just normal black wellies. I was very disappointed to find that they didn't have the hunter logo on but Argyll instead. It is shown in the photos but has Hunter written all over the listing so thought they would be Hunter. Given as a gift and had to explain that they are Hunter. Haven't noticed any leaking yet but they haven't been worn many times.
on 26 October 2013
this is my first pair of argyll wellies having tried hunter,town & country and lowther wellies
this pair feels really sturdy and looks like they could last a while.
i saw a lady who lives up the road from me walking her dog in them and asked her recomendations
glad i ordered a size smaller than i normally do because they would have been to big. really comfy.
service was brilliant from amazon.
on 1 January 2014
These are nice and roomy for their size. I walk the dog 1-3 hours per day and these develop splits or the seams come away after about 3 months of use. This has happened to three pairs, so I am trying alternatives to try and find something that will last longer
on 12 June 2017
Excellent boots, comfortable fit (as advised 1 size smaller than regular size) not tight around the top of the foot like cheaper boots.
on 24 August 2015
Quality as good as ever if not a little improved they take pride of place on the boot stand!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2012
I have worn Argyll Wellies for over 40 years. I agree with others who have commented, Argyll/Hunter wellies are not as good as they were and seem to leak far more quickly than the earlier pairs, (which did last me for many years)... Yet, over the past six years I have seen(in new pairs)signs of 'perishing' or 'small cracks' with fabric visible underneath, and one pair spilting on the seam, within a very short time! Some pairs lasted less than six months! I wrote to Hunter/Argyll, I asked them if they were using a different combination of Rubber, or country of origin, I asked if it were possible the four pairs I had purchased on the same day from the same shop, might have been old stock or perhaps on display in a 'sunny' window. I gave them the manufacturers product code number for each pair and I sent them a photograph... But sadly, Hunter/Argyll never replied.
Obviously, I do find Argyll wellies superior to the cheaper brands, they are more comfortable, generally easier to put on, tuck trousers into and in my experiance, do afford a better grip in the wet.
As I require a good wellington, to be worn almost every day, I shall continue with this particular wellington, but... I can say that we have also been disappointed with other Hunter Wellingtons, which have not received much wear, (have been stored in a dry place, even powdered and kept out of the sun)...and still they appeared to perish and leak in a very short time....
In order for my review to be helpful, I'd say it depends on what you require of your wellingtons. My wife has given up on the Hunter/Argyll and manages to wear her way through the cheaper brands... I do seem to fare better with rubber welliingtons over the cheaper 'pvc type' of boot. Having tried a good many of both. I actually think that if I could purchase cheaper boots with better grip in the wet, I'd go for cheaper... But only because the Argyll really does seem to be failing to maintain it's former superior standard.
88 Comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2012
i wish now i had read all the reviews before i bought these!i had previously bought the huntress wellies,they leaked badly after a couple of months round the heel area of one boot.i thought the mens argyll wellies looked much sturdier and as if they would last!2 months later one boot is leaking.think i will revert to the green dunlop wellies,even if they end up leaking they are much cheaper.hunter definately not the quality they used to be,what a rip off.very very disappointed.living in argyll and working outdoors,is it to much to expect wellies that will keep your feet dry?
on 17 August 2012
I was a regular buyer of Argyll boots from 1970 to 2010 and loved them. The last pair I bought (in 2011) was much more expensive and much less comfortable. It is too soon to comment on their durability. The comfort problem results from the lack of the famous cushioned insole. This led me to read about Hunter Boot Ltd on Wikipedia. After being bought and sold several times the Dumfreis factory was closed and production moved to China. Hunter became a profitable manufacturer of a fashion brand, associated with 'green wellies' and the RHS. OK, but the quality has not kept pace. I therefore paid even more money for a pair of Nokian Footwear - Wellington boots -Finnwald- (Outdoor) [441]boots, made in Finland, and am delighted with them: better tread, more comfortable, a band to protect against chapping and a fastener to keep out lumps of mud. Sad about UK design and sad about UK manufacturing - but at least the UK has a business success in the boot business. Sorry I can't add to their bottom line.
22 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 November 2011
WAS PLEASED WITH THE WELLIES UNTILL I WORE THEM OUTSIDE AND REALISED THEY LEAKED THAT IS NOT WHAT I WAS WANTING

See one answered question