- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
The Hummingbird Cabinet: A Rare and Curious History of Romantic Collectors Hardcover – 17 Nov 2005
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
"Pascoe's book, highly enjoyable and also nicely produced, meditates on the subterranean connections between the collecting passions of Romantic-era collectors and those of the poets, lines from whose poems they often quoted. Pascoe is insightful and playful in her explorations of the way private collectors, in the age between that of the great Renaissance princely or aristocratic cabinets of curiosity and the largely Victorian one of museums, were both fascinated by curious or beautiful material objects and rather poignantly used them to create what Henry James called a 'visitable' and Vernon Lee a 'companionable' past."--Elizabeth Helsinger, SEL: Studies in English Literature 1500-1900, Autumn 2006
"For Judith Pascoe there are lively and deadly forms of collecting. With wit and gravitas, she reveals how objects both defeat time and remind us of its passing. Telling the story of a unique moment in the history of collecting, Pascoe rewrites history in miniature, bringing alive the secret life of highly charged objects including Napoleon's chocolate pot and Shelley's guitar."--Marina van Zuylen, author of Monomania: The Flight from Everyday Life in Literature and Art
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Europe > Great Britain
- Books > History > Europe > Ireland
- Books > History > Social & Cultural
- Books > Home & Garden > Antiques & Collectables
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism > Literary Theory & Movements
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > Poetry > World > British