- Also check our best rated Cookbook reviews
The Hummingbird Bakery Home Sweet Home Hardcover – 14 Feb 2013
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Tarek Malouf was born in London and studied at London and Los Angeles universities, where he discovered American desserts. After working for ABC News in the UK and enjoying American cakes on trips to the USA, he decided to set up The Hummingbird Bakery on Portobello Road. The Bakery's home-cooked cupcakes, pies, brownies and other high-quality American desserts were a huge success and the Bakery now has branches in South Kensington, Islington and Soho plus a mobile bakery that tours festivals and events around the UK.
Visit the website at www.hummingbirdbakery.com.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I have made a few cakes from this recipe book and cakes are absolutely delicious. (I've even attached pictures so you guys can see what the end products looked like).
I love that the portions are generous so the cakes end up being massive like American cakes. The pictures are a true reflection of what the end product will look like.
The book is illustrated well with straight forward instructions that are easy to follow so it doesn't matter if you're a beginner or a pro.
The book itself is made from high quality glossy thick paper with a really thick hard back cover. It is a sturdy good quality book.
I haven't had the chance to test every recipe yet so can't comment on all of them.
- Jaffa cake cupcakes
- Mint humbug cupcakes
- Doughnut cupcakes
- Blueberry and amaretti cupcakes
- Jolly hammer cupcakes
- Chocolate and coconut cupcakes
- Custard cream cupcakes
- Praline chocolate cupcakes
- Rose chocolate cupcakes
- Cinder toffee cupcakes
- Grasshopper cupcakes
- Eton mess cupcakes
- Creme brûlée cupcakes
- Ginger chocolate cupcakes
- Key lime cupcakes
- Rhubarb and custard cupcakes
- Popcorn cupcakes
- Liquorice and blackcurrant cupcakes
- Panettone cupcakes
- Salted caramel cupcakes
- White chocolate and cranberry cupcakes
- Cookies and cream cupcakes
- Sweet peanut cupcakes
- Strawberry milkshake cupcakes
2) CAKES, CHEESECAKES & ROULADES
- Almond cake with macaroon top
- Banana Boston cream cake
- Sweet dough lemon loaf
- Peanut butter cheesecake
- Chocolate cake with vanilla meringue frosting
- Chocolate and cherry cheesecake swirl cake
- Chocolate malt cake
- Mississippi mudcake
- Flourless chocolate cake
- Lemon cake with lemon cream cheese frosting
- Red velvet roulade
- Cookies and cream cake
- Maple and walnut streusel cake
- Pineapple upside-down cake
- Banana and Brazil nut loaf
- Chicago fudge cake
- Pumpkin and cream cheese roulade
3) COOKIES & BISCUITS
- linzer cookies
- Hazelnut and chocolate macaroons
- Chocolate truffle cookies
- Mint chocolate thumbprint cookies
- Basic shortcake
- Lemon and ricotta cookies
- Peanut butter and jam pinwheel cookies
- Pecan and toffee thumbprint cookies
- Chocolate shortcake with peanut butter filling
- Peanut butter and chocolate cookies
- Syrup crunchy cookies
- Cornflake cookies
- Coconut macaroons
- Lemon macaroons
4) PIES & COBBLERS
- Basic pie crust
- Blackbottom pie
- Blondie pie
- Peach cobbler
- Candy bar pie
- Cherry pie
- Caramel pie
- Chess pie
- Chocolate pudding pie
- Peach pie
- Shoofly pie
- Apple and blueberry cobbler
- Soured cream pie
- Peer and cranberry tart
- White chocolate and macadamia nut pie
5) TRAY BAKES
- chocolate custard squares
- Blueberry loaf
- Peanut butter granola bars
- Chocolate hazelnut buns
- Fruit and nut chocolate parcels
- S'more brownies
- Pumpkin bars
- Cinnamon buns
6) SWEET TREATS & CLASSIC PUDS
- Raspberry jelly roll
- Funnel cake
- Peanut brittle
- Cinnamon pecan twist
- Chocolate fudge
- Coconut marshmallows
- Grasshopper slices
- Vanilla fudge
- Homemade marshmallows
- Coconut squares
- Frozen chocolate sandwich
- Apple and almond bear claw pastries
- Pecan sandies
- Mallow cups
- Apricot and almond brittle
- Baked Alaska
- Parmesan shortbread
- Chill cumin cornbread
- Cheese straws
- Olive loaf
- Cheese and rosemary breadsticks
- Savoury cheesecake
8) BAKING ESSENTIALS GUIDE
In short it's a beautiful cook book with delicious recipes, would recommend this book to anyone who loves baking yummy cakes and deserts.
Worth every penny!
The book is pitched at everyone from novices to advanced chefs.
Next time, I am in London, I will be visiting one of the 'Hummingbird Bakeries' to sample first hand one of Tarek Malouf's creations.
The only reason why I have it 4 stars rather than 5 is because the recipes are very American. So great if you want to explore more of American baked goods.
Also uses US metrics which is another little obstacle for me.
Anyways it looked good! Although there was a rip on the paper cover for the book so I just took the cover off so all was good, I'd probably buy this for myself if I ever want to bake in the future xD
Overall good product, satisfied with purchase!
Cakes, cheesecakes and roulades
Cookies and biscuits
Pies and cobblers
Sweet treats and classic puds
They are all new recipes to me, and I am really looking forward to making some.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?