Top positive review
37 people found this helpful
Good, but room for improvement.
on 2 February 2015
With over 1150 reviews of this product another would seem superfluous, but whilst I am generally happy with my purchase there are some user issues that just rob the unit of a full 5 stars.
Things I like:
1. Picture quality is excellent, but only after a couple of weeks of "running in" did the colour balance stabilise. (Colours were slightly off to start with and I couldn't correct using the TV settings.)
2. Recorded progammes are saved to folders in date order, so it is easy to locate series recordings.
3. The USB connection with the wifi dongle allows me to stream movies from an external hard drive connected to my laptop. I found this function extremely useful as I have been copying over my DVD/BluRay library to hard drives for loading up dongles for use with my tablet. I've got about 680 presently loaded and to be able to access them at will for replay on the tv is a great boon. It can access digital images as well, but this doesn't work as well due to the SD tv I'm using.
4. Although it is an HD unit, it will record in both HD and SD and replay either via SCART to my analogue TV. Yes, it even down samples HD to SD, something the instructions don't refer to.
5. It can connect to the internet for a number of subscription free additional tv channels or internet radio.
So, why not a full 5 Stars?
The EPG software is somewhat limited in functionality, and is missing two functions I really miss from my earlier SAGEM pvr.
a) It does not permit scrolling by channel selection for recording purposes. The EPG can only be scrolled horizontally for all visible channels, so it is a long-winded process to find out what is being broadcast over the coming 7 days for a particular channel. Being able to view by genre on the Humax is second best at the very least, although it can do a search on a word contained in the programme title. So, unless I do a daily check, I get to miss programmes that would have been of interest to me.
b) Whilst it has two tuners, it cannot resolve scheduling conflicts by suggesting an alternative broadcast slot if you select a third programme to record. It simply presents the three recordings inviting the user to select which two. So a previously scheduled recording may have to be lost. If you've never had a pvr which offers this functionality, the SAGEM did, you can't appreciate just how useful it is.
ADDENDUM, 2nd April, 2016.
Humax have added alternate program scheduling after my initial review, and I am grateful to Engineer Andy in the comments section for pointing this out.
In the end, this is a good product let down, IMO, by a less than satisfactory EPG and programming functionality.