on 26 July 2017
A really interesting book about where "we" came from. Some aspects are a bit deep but well worth getting even with those. Something that should be block bought by those so called educationalists "teaching", and I'm loathe to use that word, to help correct their 'Creationist" myths and legends.
on 16 June 2017
A lot of reading for such a small price. Extremely comprehensive, covers all possible aspects of the topic. A masterpiece ...
on 7 March 2014
This book is a long researched, well written and all encompassing history of mankind. If you have any interest in how we as the human race came about and why, this is the book for you. It will appeal to the academic as much as it will to the average man/woman in the street as it is as rigorous as it is accessible. I Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, learned a lot in the process and recommend it to you.
on 29 May 2014
I have always been more interested in the story of the "first cities" and beyond but never quite before. After having a quick look at the content page ("Look inside" option) I wanted to read this book. The book is engaging and well thought through; each chapter title tempting you to find out more. The book is full of information and you never feel overwhelmed. I just hope Mr. Seddon will be able to write a sequel.
on 17 February 2015
Tremendous! I am thoroughly impressed. Christopher Seddon has produced exactly what a non-fiction ebook should be.
This 'volume' puts to shame the "The quick lets make a buck out of the TV series" books that crowd science subjects.
It is astonishingly well researched, and the references and the links provided have raised the bar for those publishing works on their own enthusiasms. I really wish I had had this as a resource when some years ago I was developing and delivering my own series of lectures on Human Evolution. He has put many 'academic' sources at degree level to shame.
This book is clearly designed to scratch an itch that the author had, and as such is not immediately accessible to all readers (I tried bits out on some other folk) but if you really want to find out about (and appreciate different points of view) concerning the current understanding of human evolution you can do no better than read this book. I did from virtual cover to virtual cover; and I am still in awe of the breadth and depth I discovered in this work.
Incidentally, and to emphasize the professionalism of this work . Set aside the intellectual content and the writing style. If you do read this book; search for any typos or other insignificant errors........ I spotted just 2 !! Compare that with the normal offering on Kindle where the so called professional publishers seem not to care -- eg. Scientific American Publication, "Remember When? The Science of Memory" --
with over 130 (I stopped counting) typos/spelling mistakes etc. in a book less than half the size of Seddon's.

Mr Seddon I congratulate you.
on 18 June 2015
Having read Out Of Eden by Stephen Oppenheimer I found this book took the story of humans further but obviously with a wider focus. I think it shows the speed of mankind's development has been nothing less than breathtaking, and something which we all should be very aware of.
If I had to make one observation, which is not a criticism, it would be that the book has no reference to any of the Gods and Beliefs that would have been part of the early civilizations that are covered in the book, but then again discussing that subject where would you stop.
Overall a great read.
on 27 October 2014
An astonishing book which brings a complex subject into clearer focus. Comprehensively researched and fascinating to read. Students of this subject and people seeking to gain insight into how humans involved will surely find this book invaluable.
on 19 May 2016
This is an excellent book for anyone interested in anthropology. For me, it was technical enough that I had to research some of the concepts separately, but this really helped my general understanding of the field. The style is formal - Seddon isn't writing a novel here - but it is not stuffy and the author avoids getting too bogged down in the micro-details of the vast array of research referenced. He puts everything on the table in a fair and unbiased way. It is up to the reader how they would like to use this book, but it would serve equally well as a fascinating coffee table book or as a launch pad for the budding anthropologist.

An excellent read and highly recommended.
on 12 September 2016
Comprehensive book. Very well written and documented; at times it gets a bit dry (especially towards the end where it starts to feel more like a textbook).
on 25 May 2014
I find for a book of such immense information it is very easy to read. You can see that a lot of research went into writting the book