Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 27 January 2015
As a parent and a teacher, I can honestly say I have profited immensely from this book. The illustrations themselves are wonderful and funny, and being a writer myself, I do know how much they matter. If the pictures are appealing, the picture book gets the readers. But if it has a good story, it keeps the readers interest and makes him want to read more. Hugless Douglas is a tender, simple, loving story about the importance of a thing as simple as a hug, yet thoroughly important. There is no violence, no bullying, Douglas is not a superhero and nothing pops out of a book. But, and this is more important, when you finish reading it to your children, they want to hug the whole world, they want to read and create stories and they want to take you by the hand for a walk in the forest. Absolutely perfect all around! PS: the final pages, with all sorts of hugs listed, are the immaculate icing on the cake - deliciously created and never ever dropped from reading Hugless!
on 1 September 2014
As a childminder I read this book at the request of the children at least once a day, we use it to discuss feelings and friendships but mainly it is just a very sweet book with a loveable character the children can relate to. I will be buying more in the series. Just be careful some of these books are cheaper if you buy the paper copy which is not on.
on 6 October 2014
This is a really lovely book, especially nice just before bed. But the best bit for my 4 year old is the little pictures of all the different types of hugs at the end! Will definitely be getting some more of these books in the future!
on 5 August 2010
Another winner from David Melling with huge aaaahhhhh factor. Beautiful illustrations and heartwarming story, aimed at children but great for everyone!
on 26 June 2011
I love this book! I've bought this book as a present for two little girls. The story is so sweet and the pictures are brilliant. Douglas tries hugging a rock, a tree, a bush, a sheep, an owl and a rabbit, but it was only his mum who could give the right hug as the "best hugs are from someone I love". The pictures of different types of hugs at the end are an added treat!
on 24 August 2013
My son had been asking for this book for a while (after seeing it in advertised inside another of his Douglas books), and I finally ordered it for his birthday. I admit I was disappointed to see how small the book and bear were when they arrived (book approx 17x17cm, bear about 15cm tall) but my son was happy enough with both, and is always a favourite story for bedtime.
on 18 January 2013
This is one of my favourite books! It is a lovely simple story and the illustration is, as always, gorgeous. My children's favourite part is in the back of the book where there are 20 or so illustrations of the characters in the book hugging in a variety of fun ways. They particularly like the descriptions that accompany the hugs, 'Daisy chain hug', 'unrequited hug' and I shan't spoil any of the others .... Just get yourself a copy of the book!
on 25 April 2011
a book that appeals to boys and girls from 2 yrs upwards, as well as the mums and dads and grandparents. simple, amusing, and always a delight to read. in other words, it's genius!
on 5 June 2012
My four year old absolutely loves this and can read it using the pictures as prompts. It is a simple little story, but it is good and amuses little ones. My son particularly likes the poor little owl which ends up all ruffled up after one of Douglas' over enthusiastic hugs! The board book is a good idea as his other well-loved paperbacks are now looking very dog-eared.
on 29 December 2012
I just love hugless douglas. I love the cute drawings and the hug collection at the end of the book is amazing. My 11 month old likes looking at the pictures and I am sure as she gets older she will never cease to find details in every page! A great book!